Thought I was going to die last night!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pb1300, Apr 26, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Yesterday afternoon, I leave for the basketball court, arriving at around 5:30pm. While I have played organized and street ball all my life, I havent played here in about eight months, so I knew Id be a little winded, quick. We played 3 games halfcourt, first to 21. I was winded as hell the first game and a half, but felt fine afterwards. I was going to play a fourth game, but I tweaked my ankle a little, and decided to call it a night.

I head to my car, start it up, and all of a sudden, everything is spinning. I stopped the car in the middle of the street, and get out to get some air. I was still dizzy, and I decided to walk to the corner store, and get a bottle of water. I drink half the bottle, get back in the car, and drive off again. About a minute later, everything is spinning again, so I park the car and call for my friends to come get me. I started feeling a cramp come on, in the ankle where I tweaked the ankle, so I kept drinking water and trying to stretch it out. Everytime I would stop though, I would get dizzy and I would get real nervous.

So my friends come to pick me up, and say we should go to the hospital, which I agreed to. We are on our way there, and I started feeling dizzy again, and I told them to stop so I can get out and walk a little, but they said that would make it worse. I am about a mile down from where I asked them to stop, and now, I get that pins/needles feeling (what you feel when a body part is asleep) from my toes to my butt, and from my fingers to my shoulers, but nothing between my neck and stomach. I start freaking out, as it was a sensation I have never felt before. At that moment, I thought I was going to suffer something and pass. Something inside of me made me put my fingers on my throat and check my pulse, and it was normal.

We end up going to the hospital, and that pins/needles feeling was almost gone (because I checked my pulse and it calmed me), but I was still feeling dizzy. I ended up getting checked by the doctor, and he said that I was dehydrated, and that I fell into a shock at the climax, and that is why I was all numb. I ended up getting a couple of shots in my butt, and was able to go home 15 minutes later. Today, I am one sore SOB. I have been in la la land for most of the day, probably because of the shot, and my body being sore form the bball.

I know I was dehydrated, and that I should have had water with me, but I have played like that countless times before, so I figured I would be fine until I get to the store to get some water, but that just wasnt the case. Its weird sitting here, thinking about what went on last night, because aside from the part where I thought I was going to die, there was some pretty funny stuff going on. Oh well, I figured I would share my life moment with my favorite mac enthusiasts.

2. citizenzen Suspended

Could you put me in your will... while you still have the chance?

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

What sort of funny stuff, or are you just talking about the other strange symptoms you had?

I had no idea dehydration could do that to you. However, other than not drinking any water in the first place, you did everything right, so well done for that. Good to hear it was nothing too serious.

4. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, while in the car to the hospital, I had like one leg up on the dash, with my head on my friends shoulder, telling her to pour water in my mouth. She would pour it in my mouth, and I would just spit it all over the dash.

Also on the way to the hospital, my friend was driving fast and flashing his lights for people to move, and I was screaming out the window, in Greek, "move fu#@!$rs!!"

It was definitely a wild experience. I have been dehydrated before, but never to the point that nearly your whole body is going numb. So by feeling those sensations, I really thought something major was about to happen,

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Huh, definately sounds crazy. That's a conversation starter :D

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Glad to see Greece still has the "Worst Drivers in the World"!

:p

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Try going to Ukraine sometime. I have never been so scared in my life as I was when I was on the road in Kiev.

8. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Ever consider the possibility it could have been a TIA? Or a possible low blood sugar issue (though I'm sure they probably checked your blood sugar at the ER.)? Also, at times, a very mild partial seizure can induce the symptoms you mentioned as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I felt exactly the same in Egypt. I had to close my eyes in the back of the taxi. I would never drive there personally!

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Sounds about right for dehydration and the beginnings of heatstroke you probably had heat exaustion. Can't say just how many people I've been called to as an EMT who end up with similar symptoms. You're lucky you went to the hospital when you did, once these things start they usually progress fairly quickly and the further along they get, the more difficult to treat they become. They didn't give you an IV at the hospital?

You should know that once you feel the sensation of thirst, you're already dehydrated. You should be drinking enough to not feel thirsty.

I want to ask you, were you diaphoretic (sweaty) when these symptoms started. You know you're in deep trouble when you have been exerting yourself but your not producing sweat. That's when the dehydration is going to give you major problems.

Next time, drink water for a few hours before you play, drink water while you play, and drink water for a few hours after you play. You want to be well hydrated before you excercise, then work on maintaining that hydrated state while you excercise and after.

You lose a great deal of water through sweat, and even exhaling (which you do a great deal more than normal while playing basketball).

Just be careful!

SLC