Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
This quote from his review is crazy:

"For example, Snow Leopard picks up multicore functionality that Windows has had for years..."

Is he an idiot or just ignorant?

S-

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i have a question about this:

The first thing you'll notice is that Apple's cryptic Setup routine--which takes two to three times as much time to do its thing as Windows 7 Setup--will not ask you if you want a clean install or an upgrade if you boot off the DVD; that's probably OK for many users, but if you're looking to do a clean install, as I was, you might be surprised to see the upgrade kick off with nary a warning. The trick is to use the advanced menu-based tools to trigger anything other than the default install type.

how do you access the advanced menu?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Funny. I've got my public beta for Win 7 already to install, but I don't want to leave the OS X environment long enough to do it.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Kinda felt like the guy already had his mind set on Windows 7 no matter what... I wouldn't go has far as calling it an "unbiased view". Just my thoughts....

Sure he is a Windows guy and he has said several times that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with either OS - Windows, OSX or Linux on the desktop and it is mostly a personal choice and application compatibility issue.

I follow Paul regularly and almost all times he is as unbiased as you can reasonably expect one to be. He has criticized Microsoft for lots of things and he has also criticized Apple for lot of things. Not all of those may be right on but at least goes to show he isn't like some of the other people that defend Apple no matter what :p

And frankly the review is spot on - not much you can logically disagree with there.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
And frankly the review is spot on - not much you can logically disagree with there.

I'm not sure which review you read, but there is something to logically disagree with in most of the paragraphs of this article. And I really like Windows 7!

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
"But I find the Finder's Sidebar to be far less user friendly than the navigation bar in Windows 7's Explorer; it's not obvious how you can add often-needed locations to it, for example, while doing so is easy in Windows."

Lies.

"The nicest application update, perhaps, is QuickTime X, which like Windows Media Player in Windows 7, now supports a cool Now Playing mode in which all the surrounding player chrome disappears automatically so you can focus on the content."

Have you seen a Windows app like IE!?? Behind blue goo you can faintly make out the webpage.

Paul, you sir, are a stupid man. Comparing everything to 7 as if Apple has copied Micosoft when OS X has been around before Vista and the soon Service Pack 7. Its the other way around my foolish Fanboy, Microsoft has been trying to emulate their ass of to make up the millions who have left the land of Windows for Apple.

Unbiased? No. Bad? Yes.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
PT is a moron. Even when I was a Windows fan, way back, I thought his columns were crappy.

He lost all credibility when he wrote an article a few years ago, when he referred to both OS X and Linux as "Recreational" OS's. He bought a Mac for his wife, because she wasn't very technical. But "real" professional IT people want the power of Windows...LMAO...Yea...right...

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Looked at a different way, maybe Windows needed more fixes to begin with. That's certainly what a Mac user would tell you. They may have a point.

Touché Thurrott ;)

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I assume the OP was being sarcastic in calling Thurrott unbiased - he's perhaps the famous Windows fanboy out there.

I agree with the central tenet of his review - that the changes to the end user are very minor but I disagree with his orgasmic view of Windows 7 or his dismissal of the underlying changes made to the OS.

It's a moot point that Windows 7 is more of a leap forward than SL because Vista is a much lower base than Leopard.

One think you know is, if the releases were reversed this year he would be slamming Apple for concentrating on nothing but fancy UI changes and praising Microsoft for it's implementation of breakthrough technologies.

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
"But I find the Finder's Sidebar to be far less user friendly than the navigation bar in Windows 7's Explorer; it's not obvious how you can add often-needed locations to it, for example, while doing so is easy in Windows."

Yeah, that line is especially annoying given you just drag locations over into the finder sidebar. And the sidebar in My Computer on Win 7 is awful, there's about 4 different variants of the same thing.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The odd thing about the article is that it compares SL to Win7 as if Win7 is already on the market and SL is following in it's path.

Snow Leopard release:August 28
Windows 7 release:October 22

Does MS do time backward, too? Or is two months just not all that relevant?

Dale

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Thurrott's Unbiased opinion:

"Compared head-to-head with Windows 7, it's clear that Microsoft's is the most substantial offering, as it provides the same kinds of internal updates as Snow Leopard but also offers major updates to the user experience. Looked at a different way, maybe Windows needed more fixes to begin with. That's certainly what a Mac user would tell you. They may have a point."

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
My favorite bit of misinformation:

Mail, iCal, and Address Book have been updated with Exchange Server support, which is a big feature, sure, but none of them can do automatic configuration, so you'll need a slew of server information, which isn't the case in, say, Outlook on Windows.

Snow Leopard does support auto configuration of Exchange accounts. And Windows 7 does not include Outlook. How do you not mention that fact in comparing Exchange support in Snow Leopard to Windows 7?

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
That is the most biased I have read.

His own site is winsupersite. How can anyone that comes from there be unbiased?

Give me a break.

"Mac OS X, like the Windows systems with which it competes, is now a mature operating system. But that doesn't excuse the pricing. Had Microsoft released such an update for Windows, they would have called it a service pack and delivered it gratis."

"The first thing you'll notice is that Apple's cryptic Setup routine--which takes two to three times as much time to do its thing as Windows 7 Setup."

All he does is say Windows 7 is better the whole time.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
thought I would post an extremely biased view of SL

Performed that much needed correction for you

Havent seen a more biased, ignorant, misleading, false and useless review in my 17 years of internet ridden life
The OP was posting this just to get a rise out of everybody. It worked. :D

The review aside... Windows 7 will be a home run simply because it doesn't have, "Vista" in its name. I really think it will be a resounding success and hit the MS community just like XP did.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Damn, some people should look up the word "sarcasm"; it's nice being able to recognice it, ya know ;)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming 591835 reviews of SL with "yeah-well-not-too-many-new-features" as a conclusion.

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Sure he is a Windows guy and he has said several times that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with either OS - Windows, OSX or Linux on the desktop and it is mostly a personal choice and application compatibility issue.

I follow Paul regularly and almost all times he is as unbiased as you can reasonably expect one to be. He has criticized Microsoft for lots of things and he has also criticized Apple for lot of things. Not all of those may be right on but at least goes to show he isn't like some of the other people that defend Apple no matter what :p

Actually there is plenty to disagree with! Did you actually read the guys article? Almost every person that posted on the thread has said something along the right lines... except you that is...

birch25

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
I listen to Windows Weekly (a TWIT.tv podcast) and Paul is great on the show and sounds like he thinks OSX is great and he prefers Windows but his blog is rabidly anti-Apple. This review isn't terrible but he just doesn't seem to care about it enough to look too deep into the OS and form a full opinion.

Also, at one point he says it's curious how Quick Look is assigned to the spacebar as well. Does anyone not use the Spacebar for QL? The button is way too slow.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas

This statement alone should completely discredit this guys intelligence. I don't know of anything simpler than just dragging it over there. Maybe Windows people like holding down multiple keys or having to run a command in command prompt to add something to the sidebar (pretty sure the CP thing isn't even possible but its for exaggeration purposes lol) I mean does he expect that he should only have to think in his mind that he wants it there and it just put it there??

People like this idiot don't deserve to get copies of products early.

And about the whole Snow Leopard is just a "service pack" and it should be free because that is how Micro$oft would do it is just stupid. I hardly believe that adding groundbreaking technologies such as Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL is just a "service pack" upgrade. Apple worked their a**es off with Intel, AMD, and NVidia to add these technologies and I have no problem paying for their hard work. Service packs fix screw-ups in Windows they DON'T add groundbreaking technologies!!!!

And he didn't even compare the thing that matters the most to me as a notebook user--Power Conservation and Batter Life!! Probably because Windows 7 drinks up a battery like it's the newest flavor Slurpee.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
This statement alone should completely discredited this guys intelligence. I don't know of anything simpler than just dragging it over there. Maybe Windows people like holding down multiple keys or having to run a command in command prompt to add something to the sidebar (pretty sure the CP thing isn't even possible but its for exaggeration purposes lol) I mean does he expect that he should only have to think in his mind that he wants it there and it just put it there??

People like this idiot don't deserve to get copies of products early.

And about the whole Snow Leopard is just a "service pack" and it should be free because that is how Micro$oft would do it is just stupid. I hardly believe that adding groundbreaking technologies such as Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL is just a "service pack" upgrade. Apple worked their a**es off with Intel, AMD, and NVidia to add these technologies and I have no problem paying for their hard work. Service packs fix screw-ups in Windows they DON'T add groundbreaking technologies!!!!

And he didn't even compare the thing that matters the most to me as a notebook user--Power Conservation and Batter Life!! Probably because Windows 7 drinks up a battery like it's the newest flavor Slurpee.
Dude, you sound like an anal evangelistic fanboy. It's just a computer - nuts & bolts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.