Thought I'd be worried about hitting that 2GB data cap until...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UCLAKoolman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

...I realized that almost everywhere I go has free wifi.

This weekend I went to the mall, a movie, a restaurant, some bars, a couple of bookstores, a fast food joint, the clubhouse at my pool, my school's library... and all of these places had an open wifi network for me to use. I've literally been using my iPhone non-stop since Wed. and have only used 80Mb of cellular data!

I was skeptical that I'd never use FaceTime because of the wifi restrictions, but when I'm at work and my girlfriend is home we both have wifi. And when she's leaving her restaurant shift at night she has wifi there as well. If she wants to FaceTime between her classes... she uses our school's wifi connection. I'm sure those of you who have tried a FaceTime call can attest to how amazing/futuristic it feels, even after using skype video calling for years.

Basically, I'm not worried about ever going over the 2GB per month.

2. ColeHarris macrumors regular

Wish i could say the same but it seams that everywhere i go the wifi is either password protected or requires you to be a customer of some service. I cant wait till at&t wifi goes free, I go to starbucks allot and really don't want to have to pay to get free wifi at the worlds most popular coffee shop! I really think there should be some sort of incentive for stores to have free wifi!

3. AdamSubach macrumors member

YES! Even when I did have unlimited data, I only used a average of 600mb a month! Im not worried at all!

4. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm almost positive that attwifi is free for iPhones... otherwise I have no idea why I was able to access it with my i4 at Starbucks and Barnes and Noble....

Also: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/06/starbucks_caves_to_make_wifi_f.html

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

6. Wailord macrumors 6502

7. Despacio macrumors member

I plan to keep my unlimited data until the Netflix app comes out, would like to see how much data that uses. But then again, how often am I going to watch a Netflix movie on my phone, right? Anyways, just playing it safe for now.

8. ColeHarris macrumors regular

9. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

I wish public wifi was more available over here in the UK.
    Its starting to be, more pubs and cafes are starting to have it. And with nearly all iPhone contracts including some kind of wifi access out and about, its going in the right direction. But still, apart from London, we're still a long way off from where some US places are.

10. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just selected the attwifi network with my iPhone and it just connected. That's weird if it asks you for login info. At any rate Starbucks will have free wifi for all on July 1st

11. stackshady macrumors member

Starbucks is going to start offering free wifi to everyone soon. Not sure of the date.