Thought I'd pass on iPad 2.. BUT....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinger, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Pinger macrumors regular

The rumors of very subtle changes in the iPad 2 pretty much put my thoughts of selling my present iPad near the release date of 2 and jumping in for the new one BUT I have recently read a few articles of speculation which states the iPad 2 will have a larger speaker, 3 axis gyroscope, a more powerful Processor, USB connectivity, front facing camera and back camera and retina eye or "retina eye like" display, more memory in both ram and storage.... Now if this is true I think a lot of us will be scrambling to sell out iPads to jump on the iPad 2..
    I know it's all speculation but you have to admit that would be a pretty big upgrade...

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I think that the new iPad will definitely have more RAM ,a multi core CPU and two cameras. These features alone make me buy it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some are convinced there is an upgrade to the display
    Others are just as convinced it won't come till the 3rd generation

Will probably have a camera, or two, but most are disappointed at the 1 MP camera rumored

At this point, it is all a crap shoot with the 2nd generation

We will just have to wait till it is released and see what is there and what is not there

4. Stoutman11 macrumors member

camera, upgraded ram. slightly enhanced screen. thats your ipad2. Increased resolution will be your ipad3.

5. troyhouse macrumors 6502

ram, powerful cpu, better display, sdhc card slot were enough features for me to sell ipad 1, these features becomes a pre-order buy...!!

dont care about cameras, nfc, liquidmetal, if any of them are included it will be just bonus for me.

6. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

I heard that they are replacing the glass on the screen with Saran Wrap! That way it's easily replaceable, and it should cut down on costs.

:-D

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Can we stop with these kinds of threads? Apple hasn't officially announced anything. Let's reserve judgment over whether or not to buy the iPad 2 until that happens.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're on MacRumors not MacFacts.

9. baummer macrumors 6502a

Good one. True. However, there are a ton of similar threads already. It's getting old.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I am highly confident that Superman could beat up Mighty Mouse.

11. sportster macrumors 6502

Very true!

12. Danny2011 macrumors member

Anyone know if they posted up a price for the ipad2 anywhere?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple post a price for a product they haven't announced???? Ain't gonna happen.

Guessing price range will likely be the same, maybe start a little lower. Look at Apple's past behavior. Sometimes they wiggle pricing a bit, sometime not, usually just more capability at same price points as previous line.

14. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

You know what would make me buy a new ipad? Without selling either of my old ones?

A 7" version. Yep. Just drooling over some of the CES android tablets, but really not wanting to adopt yet another OS.

Apple could cut their competition off at the knees if they introduced a mature 7" tablet to supplement their product line. Something that is about half the size of the current ipad would rock. 1024x768 means there would be no software scaling issues.

Yeah, I know Steve said it wouldn't happen. But he has made categorical statements like that before to throw off the competition.

Instead of buying a new gps (since my car gps just died)....

Fingers crossed...

15. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Absolutely nothing brought up by the OP has changed my mind to buy the next iPad.

16. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I'm hoping for a slightly smaller bezel, but I guess we would know if that were the case from . . . the cases.

Form factor is good as is. Though sometimes I wish my iPad fit in my coat pocket instead of forcing me to take a man bag with me.

I'm definitely looking forward to the iPad 2. I will buy one and then gift my current iPad to a lucky family member. I haven't decided who gets it yet though. Probably my sister, but my girlfriend would like one as well.

17. hayesk macrumors 65816

7" at 1024x768 means the UI elements would be tool small for most people's fingers. Not to mention the size of the text.

18. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I agree with you on the text. Safari's text is way to small when I hold my ipad in portrait orientation. Sure wish they had made the option to use a larger text size.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agreed, can you even imagine how stupid it would be on a tiny 3.5" screen !

20. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

The bezel is a feature to stop you pressing the screen when you hold it. Apple probably spent a long time determining this size for the bezel, as they also probably spent a long time deciding on a 9.7" screen size.

If you believe the bezel can be smaller, hold the iPad in one hand at the bottom corner and think how much thinner it could be.

21. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Regardless of how amazing the iPad2 may turn out to be, I think I will pass.

22. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

For current iPad owners, here's what's going on...

a)...10% have started selling their iPads in expectation of the iPad 2 being announced any minute now
    b)...40% have decided already that iPad 2 isn't good enough so they'll pass (based on the rumors of "minor" upgrades)
    c)...40% will upgrade as soon as iPad 2 is released
    d)...10% are undecided

Of those on "b", at least 20% will upgrade within 3 months of iPad 2 release date. Why? Because, first, Apple will advertise the hell out of it and, second, there will be a humongous surge of posters on this site writing on how awesome iPad 2 is, no matter how significant or not the new features are. Tempting, right?

Bottom line is I am expecting no more than 25% of current iPad owners passing on iPad 2 and waiting for iPad 3.

My take...

(percentages above are as valid as the rumors of iPad 2 specs)

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But iPhone apps don't use the same UI elements/layouts as iPad apps. The calendar app for the iPhone vs the one for the iPad is a very good example of the difference. Imagine fitting the iPad calendar app as it is on a 7" screen -- I don't think that would be a very good experience. But blow up the iPhone app to use on a 7" screen, and that might look a bit stupid, all the UI elements would be slightly too big. In order to have an optimal experience with a 7" iPad, apps would have to be designed to fit that screen size. Even now, with only two screen sizes to support, a lot of developers are just making apps for one or the other. Or charging you twice to have an app for each screen size. I don't fancy buying my ToDo app three times so I can have it on all three devices. Well, actually, I hope I'll be able to restrain myself and buy only two of the three! :D

24. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I always find it hard to resist an upgrade. :eek:. But one thing I'll be looking at closely this time will be the data plan. I'm grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited data plan ($30/month) and don't want to give that up. Hopefully I can roll that over onto a new iPad when the time comes! :confused: :apple:

25. Chewbaca macrumors newbie

USB connectivity alone would swing it for me.