Thought: iphone4 Advertising and data plan change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h1kar1, Jun 8, 2010.

1. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

Am i the only one that has thought of this.
    They are moving new members to a new Tiered data plan.
    But at the same time they are introducing advertising on our phone which in theory would us bandwidth as well which we have no control over.

Now i myself have had all the iphones since the first and will be keeping my unlimited plan and my wife's also.

Just wanted to see if anyone thought of this besides me.

Also it would be nice if someone explained how the data rate is calculated.
    I am in the industry Director of IT and use my phone for alot and my data rate is not that high low 300's i was supplied. Yes i use it alot in wifi area's i do know better but still thought it would be higher.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

First off ATT is moving to capped data plans. That has nothing to do with Apple implementing iAds. As for the ads don't download free apps if you are that concerned about data usage or is you do don't click on them. The banners shouldn't take up more then a few k of bandwidth and shouldn't really add to much to your total data usage for the month. Now if you start clicking on them all yeah that could add up.

3. h1kar1 thread starter macrumors regular

h1kar1

edk99,

Thank you for the correction. yes it is At&t doing the capping.

As for the add's all i am saying they are out of our control and if we have a cap i don't think adds should be included in our data plan.

Also you touched on the topic of apps yes i agree don't download a ton of free apps but at the same time who downloads app's over 3g i do it when i am home or at work with wifi... But if you ask me getting charged for an app and for data seems like you are hit twice.