Thought on iTunes Ping

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WytRaven, Sep 2, 2010.

1. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have just finished providing feedback to Apple on iTunes 10, in particular Ping.

Now before you all start flaming me with comments about "why do we care what you think" there is reason why I'm posting about it here. The new iPod shuffle indicates beyond a doubt that Apple does listen to feedback, and where it makes sense they change accordingly. Now the only problem with feedback on it's own is that only Apple sees it and many people simply won't bother to do the same so I figured I would put down the things I wrote about here in the hope of generating discussion on these points which is a form of public feedback.

The Primary Ping Problem

Ping in it's current form is not a "Social network about music discovery" it is an incestuous iTunes marketing tool where it's customers sell it's products to each other.

Using social networking as a marketing tool is not new, duh, and when done right is actually a mutually beneficial arrangement between companies and their customers as it is an extension of the kind of targeted advertising pioneered by the like of Google Ads combined with the viral advertising concept.

The problem with Ping is that it is not mutually beneficial at this point as it only allows you to express your opinion about iTunes products and not music in general. iTunes does not cover the entire world of music, in fact it covers only a very small portion of it.

If Ping were mutually beneficial then I could select any music from my library as items I like for others to see and where it was matched to something in the iTunes library then the existing preview/purchase integration could come in to play. Where my selections refer to items not currently in the iTunes store then Ping could allow others to indicate their interest in seeing this album/artist in the store. See? Mutually beneficial as Apple can use the data collected to streamline their acquisition process and we the consumers are more likely to see what we want to consume show up.

It should be noted that all the information needed to do what I have outlined above is already there in the meta data attached to your music.

Now to something of a little more like personal concern: I was surprised by the ridiculously small selection of genres available to choose from...no Electronic? WTF? What? I can't say that I like K-Pop?

2. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

Just bumping this because you are absolutely right as I realized this within 5 minutes of using ping. What I think makes it worse is that due to the fragmentation of the iTunes Store worldwide, I wouldn't be able to comment on an artist that doesn't have music in my home country's store but does have music in their store. It's bad enough that I can't really "share" music unless I purchase and/or review it in my local iTunes Store, but that I can not discover and connect with other iTunes users from other countries makes this an awful social networking tool. Once I further collect my thoughts I might even send a message to Apple, but Ping could have been so much more that I really am disappointed in its execution.

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i'd almost have to say -1, for not realizing this sooner.

4. Dejital macrumors newbie

I was expecting last.fm... logged in and all I saw was iTunes store marketing.

I couldn't even pick The Beatles as music I like, because they aren't on the iTunes store. :mad:

5. miklagio777 macrumors member

I also think that, right off the start, every single artist in the store should be available to follow. I didn't care to use this to see status updates, I have a huge selection of artists I'd like to keep up with, and would just love to see when they've added new music.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think that I'm going to bother logging in once.

Seems very disappointing. I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to share my thoughts on music that I didn't buy from iTunes, which is most of my music.

7. zkhrhm macrumors newbie

People, calm down. It is what, 12 hours old? Your favorite artists probably have not signed up yet, nor have most of your friends. Remember when the app store was born? Exactly. This will take time to develop. The good news is, you don't have to use it now, nor when it takes off. Notice I said 'when'.

Of course it's a marketing tool. Why else would Apple think of it? They're not in the philanthropy department.

8. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

If they are selling albums on iTunes you should be able to follow them.

9. tallguy macrumors regular

If I were an artist I probably wouldn't waste my time with Ping because it's really not going to go anywhere. Nobody I know buys music from the iTunes store therefore Ping is basically useless. I'm sure the same goes for most people out there. This really should have just been iTunes 9.5 or something.

10. infowarfare macrumors 6502

What a really stupid statement that is. Really, how old are you, 13? Just because YOU claim nobody you know buys music on iTunes (which is bull I'm sure) doesn't mean nobody else is... how about that 150 Million people that DO buy music on iTunes? Are they just "nobody"? :rolleyes:

11. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

Apple should of asked tallguy before spending the time and money on Ping!