Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hey everyone! Just wanted your thoughts on the new Canon T4i. Just recently Canon announced it and it will be available soon enough. What are your thoughts?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hey everyone! Just wanted your thoughts on the new Canon T4i. Just recently Canon announced it and it will be available soon enough. What are your thoughts?

Thoughts in terms of?

In relation to the 600d I already have I don't think it offers anything that I haven't already got and at an RRP of £200 more than I paid for the 600d a year ago I am glad I bought when I did!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

It sounds like a decent body, but the $849 price tag seems high (although not surprising given Canon's pricing strategy lately). For only a few hundred more you can get a 7D on a good day.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I think if you are shooting video, then it looks pretty interesting, especially if you are looking at the two new lenses too.

I wonder how many of these new video features will carry over to the 7DmkII.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'm looking forward to see how good the autofocus in video feature ends up being. I'm not sure how useful the touchscreen is, other than for the touch to focus. The upgrade to the autofocus system is cool, but seems to be an evolutive upgrade rather than something ground breaking.

Though the price is pretty high. The t2i body is 550$ right now, which seems like a much better value. Heck, for 50$ more than the t4i, you can get a 60d.

Either way, right now, the t4i doesn't seem to have good value. While the auto-focus for video is exciting, I'm not sure how many people care about it, and also, there aren't a whole lot of lenses that will work with it.

Speaking of those lenses, the 40mm f/2.8 pancake is pretty interesting. Hopefully they will come up with wider version of it as well.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I'm not sure if the 60D will be updated. Since the 4TI has an articulating screen and five fps, it may be the end of the 60D. I think the price is an indicator as well; priced right in the middle of 60D-ville! As far as the 4Ti, it sounds like a good camera! One con is the size of the screen. Since it's a touch screen, you'd think the screen would be larger to accommodate finger tips? Other than that, can't wait to read reviews! Oh yeah, video af should be another interesting feature. I wonder if it will be more trouble than it's worth?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
In 3 words:
Not worth getting.

I have a T2i. Friends have a T3i. If the T4i had some enhancements in the focus department then I might have considered but nope, nothing. It's just a T3i with a touchscreen and hybrid focus for video. Which means the T2i is still the best buy for the money.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Any word on the T2i/T3i getting a price drop with the release of the T4i?

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I'm coming to the decision of getting the T2i, instead of the T3i or T4i, and use the difference to buy lenses. Such as EFS 50mm F1.8, and EFS 55-250mm F4-5.6.

In 3 words:
Not worth getting.

I have a T2i. Friends have a T3i. If the T4i had some enhancements in the focus department then I might have considered but nope, nothing. It's just a T3i with a touchscreen and hybrid focus for video. Which means the T2i is still the best buy for the money.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I don't think so. The changes between the the T4i and my T3i are minimal at best. I don't think it's selling particularly well since after only a couple months of being released, it's already being offered at discount at places like 1saleaday and elsewhere. Perfectly happy with my T3i but the T2i would still be a better buy at this time. I see them pretty cheap online.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
If you have a T2i there is no reason to get a T4i, there simply is not enough advantage unless you really need a certain feature. If I was buying right now, I would still buy a T2i and spend the difference on better glass.

It's a great camera, but glass is more important than the body, unless you need a certain feature.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Hmm.....

Yeah, maybe ... I'm currently a T2i owner though, and while the T3i didn't seem like it offered anything justifying an update to it, I'd be interested in getting the T4i if I could recoup enough of my money spent on the T2i in resale.

As people are pointing out, the T4i is already seeing some decent discounts since it's a slow seller at Canon's original asking price. With a couple hundred bucks off its initial asking price, I think it's justified as an upgrade if I get such things as the swing-out LCD screen on the back (one of the few good new features the T3i brought to the table), and the autofocus for video shooting.

If you have a T2i there is no reason to get a T4i, there simply is not enough advantage unless you really need a certain feature. If I was buying right now, I would still buy a T2i and spend the difference on better glass.

It's a great camera, but glass is more important than the body, unless you need a certain feature.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I think the T4i has video advantages, but I only shoot photos with it, so I don't see any reason to upgrade, I'd rather have better glass. Like I said, it depends if you need/want certain features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.