Thoughts about which Controller?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gman901, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if anyone on this forum goes back and forth using a keyboard/mouse and an xbox 360 controller for their Mac? The reason I ask is that I enjoy using the keyboard and mouse with my Macbook, but I recently purchased the new Mac Mini for my media center and copied my Macbook games on my Mini to play on the couch. If I use the 360 controller a lot while playing on the Mini, and then go back to my Macbook, will the controller mess up the enjoyment of playing the same game using the keyboard? I know this sounds petty, but I have held back using the 360 controller for this reason. I just think the 360 and the Mini would be a good combo when I'm on the couch.:eek:

2. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99

Personally, I feel you have a ton more control (better aiming, quicker movement, etc..) using a keyboard and mouse than a controller. I have not tested it with the computer though. The controller can be used for casual gaming on the couch I suppose, But in my opinion it will never hold up to the effectiveness of a mouse.

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I totally agree with you. The keyboard is a ton better, I am just wondering if it makes more sense to continue playing from the couch with the controller and go back to the keyboard when I advance through the same game on my macbook. Do you think switching like that would be difficult as I get used to the controller?

4. Illicit macrumors 6502

Frankly I've always believed gaming should be done in a comfortable couch and not at a desk. I switch between my logitech controller and keyboard back and forth, it really doesn't make either one harder or easier to use. You'll eventually get comfortable with it.

5. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)Thanks! I was just playing Dead Space with the xbox 360 controller on the mini and it works great! I feel both ways of playing have it's advantages.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I like comfort also, that's why I make sure my work space is comfy. It's not hard and it makes siting at a desk all day every day comfortable. :)

But nothing beats lazying around on a couch for those times I want to be a zombie.

Anyways, you should consider getting a speedpad. It's smaller than a keyboard and more comfortable for PC gaming. When on the couch, you could even put it on your leg, but of course you would need some sort of tray for the mouse.

I have a Belkin n52te. It brought comfort and speed to my left hand -- it's fully programable and works on both Macs and PCs. I played through Dead Space twice with it. Its thumb-stick by default is the arrow keys, which was great for navigating the game's menus. Overall it made the experience better for me, compared to when I first started the game on my keyboard.

Oh, when playing DS with a mouse, if you invest in any mouse that does on the fly DPI switching, so a gaming mouse, it makes a HUGE difference. Even when in aim-mode (which the developer slows down on purpose), I can flip the screen around in an instance and always shoot where I want as quickly as I want. When they artificially slow down the aiming in this game, I just bump up my mouse's speed to counter it. The downfall to this, is that it made Dead Space a somewhat easy game on impossible difficulty. It was an easier play-through for me than when I played it through the first time on hard with a standard mouse -- but this difficult was also easier than I had expected.

Just a ramble about Dead Space that may be useful. I forced on vsync via the nVidia control panel on my PC and it dead locks the game's frame-rate at 60 fps -- which I can see when running FRAPS. If I use the vsync option found in the game's option menu, it limits the game's frame-rate to 30 fps. This is a problem, because of how they implemented mouse support for this game, which was poor, as its tracking speed directly correlates to the game's frame-rate unlike a properly developed PC game. With vsync off of course, this game runs at 2x to 4x the frame-rate depending on the area.

Anyways, I view gamepads for shooters as a step back, as they promote throwbacks like auto-aim, or in Dead Space's case, the developer intentionally inhibited the mouse movement to be more like a thumb-stick, as to try and keep up the game's difficulty up, instead of doing the right thing and rebalancing the game for a superior input when it comes to pointing -- of course this would have probably delayed the PC release a few months.. Fortunately most of us are crafty, so found ways around this limitation and fortunately not all console/PC games are this way. Mass Effect is an example of a great game that was made better when they improved its for the mouse by fixing some of the limitations imposed by the 360 controller.

7. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great information! I also have the Belkin, but found it a litttle difficult to use from the couch. I thought the mouse and keyboard control was pretty good, except for opening contextual menus. The 360 controller makes everything easier except for quick aiming.