Thoughts/Decisions about the Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiohokaybye, Jul 17, 2012.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I just received my new rMBP yesterday and I gotta say, it's a beautiful machine, it's light compared to my 2011 MBP, and the display is just stunning! I absolutely love it in an out... minus the lag on the os itself. I know that there's been multiple complaints about the lag, but I honestly did not expect it to get so choppy.

Regardless, I notice that it's decently smooth on the discrete graphics card, which is acceptable, only that I won't be using my discrete graphics card all the time when I'm out in class, which is problematic.

And here comes the decision, should I return my rMBP and wait for a new generation to come out? Or is this something that a software update can "smooth" out? I looked at the macbook pro release history, and I noticed that for the past couple macbook pro updates, theyve kept the integrated graphics card throughout the whole lineup to be the Intel 3000 one. So I don't want to return, wait, and have the next one have the same integrated graphics card as this one.

So tell me guys, what should I do?

P.S. I was gunna sell my old MBP, but I'm holding on to it until I make up my mind. (The UI is smoother one that than this rMBP, but that's a given with the retina)
    P.P.S. I don't want to return this and get like a MBA or iPad, I like having just one device!

Thanks

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

You could have probably made your decision from reading the many, many, many other threads regarding the same topic.

3. MacBird macrumors 6502

You could wait a week, install Mountain Lion and see if you find the UI performance sufficient. It is supposed to be better on the rMBP.

4. Cypther macrumors member

Remember that software sells hardware, does the Retina Macbook pro does everything for you now? If not return it and wait, otherwise keep it.

5. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I'm honestly shocked that Apple released the rMBP before ML. Either Apple didn't test the performance much at all or they figured "Oh well" and released it with Lion anyway. Either way, it's disappointing.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

To some but completely acceptable to the masses.

7. blow45 macrumors 68000

they typically rushed it to market, because they want to be there first at all costs with a new (or not so new, high pixel density monitors exist and have existed since 10 years ago, there just very expensive) technology or form factor.

Same with the macbook air, hence overheating issues.

Same with the ipad, hence screen problems.

Same here, hence software and/or hardware problems.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Or......perhaps the more logical solution. Apple, being keen on how tricky and expensive support can be, intelligently decided that it's best to release a new hardware platform on a stable Operating System release. This would make bug fixes far easier because one of the products has been iterated 4 times (OS X).

Rarely will a sane vendor deliver a new hardware platform and software platform at the same time. If you're going to QA it's best to remove as many variables as possible.

9. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I was too to be honest. And that little part of me still has faith in apple. I'm just hoping they'll release an update or something to smooth out the performance on this thing. I don't understand how a lot of people are having this problem, but only a small portion of them are returning the computer. I'd go nuts if i have to deal with this for a while. I have around a month to decide before I have to return because theyre sending a replacement for me cuz this one has a screen defect (the senior advisor is letting me keep this one until the new one comes!).

Currently on ML actually... the lag is pretty noticeable.

10. Rajpdx macrumors regular

I was very appointed.

No issues. No problems. No lag.

Excellent machine.

11. keviig macrumors 6502

I got my base line Macbook Pro retina on Monday (9th of July). I am very happy with everything except the scroll and OS lag (I am running ML GM). It is supposed to be quick and responsive, which in all fairness you should be able to expect for a $2000 computer. Things such as scrolling through the Facebook feed is way smoother on my 5 year old $500 Hp laptop...
    I have until monday to return it, i guess i'll keep it over the weekend and see how i feel about it.

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Scrolling and OS lag persists even with Mountain Lion Golden Master?! Christ, man...

13. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I think I just found a fix!! I changed the resolution to 2880x1400(as unintuitive and not logical as that sounds) the lag went away for the most part! Now I'll just have to wait for an official patch or something and squint to look at my screen for now:p

And you know...some people have been reporting that it makes it smooth and all that, and how there's a significant improvement on the ui, but I saw another thread in the ml section on benchmark and they came out to be almost the same...makes me think that people see what they want to see lol

14. iRyu macrumors regular

don't return it. I'm sure ML will fix most of the problem if not all. As ML is mostly build for Retina MBP

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I do agree with your statement, however it could also be said "the masses will buy anything Apple". They've proven that over & over.

That's due to the brilliance of having the worlds most convincing salesman on board. Now that he's gone, the halo effect is as strong as ever and may carry on for some time.

In the meantime the educated, experienced computer users will still think for themselves and not be fooled by the remants of the prior CEO's smoke & mirrors hype machine.

16. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Obviously, Apple should not strive for the "halo effect". :rolleyes:

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

To make any sense and form any conclusion of these posts users need to post exactly what resolutions they are running, once you opt for scaled the system has to work harder, in "Best for Retina" many of the graphical anomalies are nulled.

Usage is another factor, is the issue the GUI, graphically heavyweight sites or some of the sites quoted on the forum which are badly coded and will push any machine while trying to scroll as fast as possible.

My own Retina (base 2.3) I run on Best for Retina and have observed very few graphical issues, then again I am not deliberately changing my usage habits and workflow to find fault. Mountain Lion will correct issues to some extent, however people should also bear in mind that the impending release is the first commercial iteration and as with all OS X releases the OS will mature and improve over time.

For those that are truly unhappy, simply return the machine; one Apple will get the message faster, two there are plenty waiting for the Retina MBP, being one of the best personal computers ever brought to market...

18. stevelam macrumors 65816

That's not a fix. You basically just turned off retina display by switching it to native res. Now there's no scaling at all which is the whole point of the screen.

19. stevelam macrumors 65816

Everyone was saying that all issues will be fixed with ML. Now that it isn't true, I guess people are going to say everything is going to be fixed with an even later version with no real proof other than just hoping for the best for their $2.5-3k beta machine. Ouch.

20. kamran9558 macrumors regular

I really was hoping for ML to fix the issue but now i am getting worried hearing all this. after waiting all this time for my first macbook (which was supposed to "just work" ) I feel sick

21. Mike07335i macrumors member

I am on ML with the Retina (2.3 base model) and there is 100% no lag. Everything is buttery smooth.

Mike

22. kamran9558 macrumors regular

slow scrolling or fast?

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

There is good reason why Apple still offer the MBP alongside the Retina MBP, if you dont want to be part of it, or simply wait unto 2014 when Retina has matured same as the Air has.

As I have stated i have seen very little issue with my Retina, equally i am not deliberately looking for error Retina is working for me and my usage ML will bring improvements due to the way the OS will handle graphics. if the Retina was an issue to me i would simply follow my own advice get out or wait. The graphical issues people are raising dont detract from the computers core functionality, and will be addressed.

As for the continuous references to to the Retina`s pricing, simply use the web to look back and see just how much MBP`s were and what we are getting for the money; 2006 MBP $1,999 - $2,499, now with adjustment for inflation $2,275.43 - $2,844.57 anyone still think they are getting a particularly bad deal ?

When Apple release a new product there is always a level of controversy with the Retina it`s a if many want to see it dead in the water right on the launch, i agree it`s not perfect yet there is nothing even close to it on the market as Steve Jobs put it "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?" personally i have always been for the latter ;)

24. dynamojoe macrumors member

dynamojoe

If Apple had released the retina form factor with the anti-glare screen from the cMBP I'd be much more interested in it. I don't care so much about upgradeability as portability and a 15" that weighs the same as a 13" would be great for me. I just can't get past the glossy screen. The retina may be better than they used to be (I'm typing this on a unibody macbook from '08 and it's a mirror) but it's still a mess compared to the cMBP antiglare screen.

25. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Much depends on your lighting conditions, Apple store is probably not the best of venues. I have the Retina and a Late 2011 15"MBP and the Retina is significantly improved regarding glare, however it`s still present.

The MBP with matt HiRes would certainly fit your need, I dont think applying a film to the Retina would work out too well. Retina or standard either will be a massive uplift on your 08, my oldest MBP is from Early 08 (pre Unibody) so i can pretty much judge the gap and both would be a vast improvement on reducing glare. If you can manage your lighting conditions the Retina should work out fine.