Thoughts MacBook Pro 2011 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipooed, May 2, 2015.

1. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I have a chance to pick this baby up for $800, however I am worried with all the overheating GPU issues :( this MacBook was affected and the logic board was replaced 3 months ago. However what I cannot wrap my head around is Apple replaced the logic board and installed the exact same GPU :(

I am worried getting this and then it happening again after the 2016 period for a free logic board replacement has ended. How many of you had it happen again after a logic board replacement? Or have heard of it happening again? I don't want to be out $800 when I can buy a $800 PC and have it last 5+ years.

2. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

$800 for a 4 year old machine that may still have problems? No way I'd spend that money

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Why the heck would you pay $800 for that?

Just because people ask the price/you see it listed for it online, does not mean it's worth that.

4. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

According to mac2sell it's worth more than the $800 so I don't know

Attached Files:

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd skip it and find a computer that doesn't have any widespread major issues.

6. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

Thanks for the opinions! I think I will pass on all MacBooks all together, there are a few vents but nothing like my Alienware to remove the hot air.

If it happened with this MacBook technically it could happen with all (temps going to high, computer shutting down. The rapid heating and cooling cracking the solder)

Probably within the next year there will be a guide to turn my Alienware into a hackintosh and have the best of both worlds :)

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Apple just acknowledged the issue and is fixing for free until feb/2016. Perhaps this time it will be a permanent fix. I'd take this into account. I was looking for buying a defective one for a bargain and then send it to Apple for repair, but I think the owners already know the good news :p

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's what my ASP told me about a month and a half ago. They said the replacement logic board had had the issue fixed.
    But who knows... Others that have had repairs performed around the same time have had issues since.

9. yangchewren macrumors regular

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

11. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

12. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Go ahead and get it, IMO.

I have a friend w/2011 17", he had the logic board replaced. What happened was that in 2011 they were using a new "environmentally friendly" solder that, in the long term, couldn't handle the heat and began to separate. The issue was with the solder, not the CPU, so with a new logic board in it, it should be good to go. IMO.

13. magbarn macrumors 68000

Apple has no 'new boards' as the majority of the chips are no longer in production. You got a refurb board...
    The problem is that the repaired boards are still using the same crappy solder. Apple is just buying themselves more time...

For the OP, avoid this laptop's generation. If you want to keep a macbook long-term, only get models without Nvidia/AMD in them.