Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Hi everyone. I am shooting video of houses as a part time business and I am trying to find the right HD camera for me. I really want a 3 CCD camera just because I use the image stabilization in iMovie for walking shots, but I am having trouble finding one that I like. Should I just move on from that idea of using image stabilization? It really adds a nice element to my work. I also need it to work well in lower light and take a wide angle lens. My budget is under $1000.

Any insight would be so helpful

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
You need to up your budget. You can get an HD consumer refurbished JVC GZ-HD30 or the JVC GZ-HD5 for well under 1000. The HD5 has 3CCDs but tested poorly in low light. ecost.com has these. If you are wanting a professional HD camera, I would recommend the Canon XH-A1 but you are looking at at least 3 grand. When I tape houses I also use a steadyCam called the VZ lite from Varizoom http://varizoom.com/products/stabilizers/vzultralite.html

You can also go here to get some insight http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/compare-u-show_von-i-34-u-mode-i-docompare.html

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I do not think you need to up your budget. If you want HD and 3CCD but do not want to spend a lot you really cannot beat the Canon HV30 or HV40. A good wide angle lens will run you about $150-200. Then invest in a decent mic like a Rode VideoMic ($120 at Jack'sMusic Factory), or if you want XLR a Rode NTG2 ($180) and Hosa MIT-156 ($16).

You did not specify what exactly you will be using this setup for. For personal use this would be a great setup in my opinion. If you're a paid professional you may want to up your budget.
Also, try visiting HV20.com there are a lot of knowledgeable people over there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.