Thoughts of a slide out keyboard for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaryMacGuy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I just wanted to get an idea of what iPhone fans think about having a slide out keyboard similar to HTC windows mobile devices on the iPhone. I know several people that would buy an iPhone if it had that.
    Do you think Apple could pull it off in an elegant way?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I cant see how they would accomplish that without sacrificing the thickness of the iPhone. I actually like the current keyboard and I dont want iPhone to resemble any of current HTC models or Windoze models.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I would love to see a slide out keyboard. If Apple made one and it looked nice (and worked well!) I would buy one immediately.

However, I can see Apple making some sacrifices on that keyboard. Just like Apple decided that we don't need MMS or custom text message alert sounds, they might decide that no one needs the letter "Q" on their keyboards anymore or something.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would defeat the whole touchscreen interface of the iPhone. Its not happening

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Not to mention with the HTC touch taking off, I can't see slide out keyboards staying popular in HTC's camp for long either.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't like sliders as they tend to make the phone thicker. I like the iPhone keyboard the way it is.

7. anmoldagreat macrumors member

thats only taking off because it works on cdma networks. and the iphone does not.
    that may just be me but how about you search htc touch iphone skin?

personally the fact that the iphone does not have a keyboard makes it a joke for most professionals. i like the ipod touch because of the touch interface but i go with nothing less than my blackjack 2 for a real phone.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see for the new iphone...

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

That really doesn't make sense, I was comparing the HTC touch to other slider style phones from HTC. It's selling better than those. People who like qwerty on their smartphones are turning into a niche.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you need the function of a keyboard that much, you'd probably be better off getting a roll up Bluetooth keyboard, and hoping Apple are gong to get decent BT support in the 2.0 update come June.

WM is moving away from stylus and towards touch. RIM is in the market primarily because it doesn't have a decent rival (until Apple updates its software...).
    If you want a keyboard, get a keyboard. If you want a Crackberry or HTC, get one. Apple can't be all things to all people, and won't do every model under the sun. The same goes with a slider, or a flip phone.

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Bog awful. I hope that never happens as it would be terrible. The keyboard on the iPhone at the moment is amazing. I really have difficulty seeing how people find it difficult to use, maybe I'm just shortsighted....

11. Surely Guest

Surely

No thank you. I like the iPhone keyboard. I'm good at typing on it. I don't want the extra bulk of a slide out keyboard.

I don't even understand what that means. I know plenty of professionals that use the iPhone. I'd say the bigger problems are the lack of Exchange Support (coming soon), push email (also CS), BCC, cut/copy and paste, and the ability to edit docs.

12. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Adding a physical keyboard to the iPhone would be a step backwards. What would be next? A floppy drive on the MacBook Air? :rolleyes:

Having the ability to display a different keyboard for a different function is far superior to assigning multiple functions to individual mechanical keys. I would be surprised if Apple considered doing this but in the end I really wouldn't care as long as a touch screen only model was still available.

13. dupdup macrumors newbie

I'd love to have a thin slide out keyboard. The iphone key board is a pain in the ass to use for anyone with slightly big fingers. You can say what you like about my typing ability, but I know I'm not the only one that constantly screws up on the iphone keyboard and is reliant on its auto correction (which works about 70% of the time). I was so much faster on the old HTC 6700. What they need to do is allow for landscape typing for all apps. That is so much easier for me.

14. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I absolutely love the qwerty slide out keybaord on my phone (HTC TyTn ) and would never buy a phone without one. I send about 1000 texts a month (about 30 a day) and have about 5000 texts from other people in on my phone (need to clear out that SMS log soon)

You might ask do I never use it for phone calls? You'd be right. I never make or receive phone calls. Something to do with being deaf.

Funny thing is I know plenty of hearing people who send far more texts than I do.

For you USA Macrumors people, texting is far more common in EU than in USA as it's free to receive a text, (you pay when sending it) and there are lots of tariffs with high / unlimited text sending allowances.

15. anmoldagreat macrumors member

i actually havent heard a lot of news about htc touch only phones such as the htc touch (for sprint and verizon as the xv6900) to be selling more than their huge selection of qwerty phones... even a lot of htc touch users want to switch to the htc touch dual because of the physical keys.
    i actually do believe that the iphone keyboard isnt that bad and with people making their own keyboards for winmo and haptic feedback; im sure touch smart phones will be a lot more practical.
    but i'd say for now its just a fad and that most folks will stick with physical qwertys.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Why do you think that you would have so much trouble using the iPhone keyboard? It's QWERTY as well.

Receiving text messages in the USA and Canada is also free, same as where you are.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    People think Apple is going to cater to their every single want.
    I'd buy an Iphone if it has this or only when this feature is released etc.....
    You like it buy it, if not find something else that does the work for you.

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I had a go on it in the Apple shop. Lovely phone, but still think I prefer a physical keyboard rather than a virtual one.

One thing I do miss about slider keyboards is not being able to text one-handed - useful when walking or carrying stuff.

Re: texting in Canada + USA - oh I must be out of date then. Last time I looked, it was pay to receive. Things must have changed then.

19. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i think it would add needless size, and confuse the UI which, would create inconsistencies between models. I do however think apple should allow pairing to bluetooth keyboards for those who travel and work a lot as well as open up hardware accessories to the sdk (which i think will eventually happen but maybe in a year or so.

20. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm it's unlikely.

It would then make it look too much like a business phone - less people from the consumer market would want to get it.

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I hate slide phones with a passion. If the iPhone ever adopted a slide-out keyboard (which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't) I would not buy that model. I like it how it is now. If it's not broken don't fix it.

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Well you know, if you don't like it, no need to buy the slidey model :)

Dunno why some people think phones with qwerty keyboards look like business phones :confused: Yeah blackberries do, but lots others don't. Paris Hilton (still?) uses the Danger Hiptop while partying and she's no business dude.

While I love my HTC TyTn, the Windows Mobile 5 it runs winds me up no end. I'd love to have OSX on a qwerty phone.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, dont buy the slidey model that dont exist. :D

24. Surely Guest

Surely

It takes a lot longer to get used to the iPhone keyboard than a try out at the Apple Store. Believe me, I hated it at first, but as I got better at using it, I've grown to really like it. It took me about a week to fully get used to using it. And I had to learn to trust the autocorrect- it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Also, is the iPhone's TTY feature something that is useful to you?

Incoming texting in Canada has been free for a number of years, so I guess it has been a while since you last looked. :)

25. infosprt macrumors regular

I have both an HTC cellphone and an iPhone. I use both on the Internet and definately think the iPhone approach is better.