Thoughts of exchanging my MBA for MBP....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdoug, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I purchased a 13" MBA max from my local Apple Store about 10 days ago. After using it extensively, I'm convinced I cannot live without the lighted keyboard. Most of my use is at night on the couch or in bed when I don't need to use my iMac. I'm not a very good typist, so being able to see the keys in a dark room is almost a must. When I purchased it, I had no idea it lacked a lighted keyboard and an IR receiver. Both of kids have current model 13" MBP's and quite frankly, the screens, keyboards and battery are superior to the Air.
    I really wanted to like this computer and for the 1st 5-7 days I did, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, at least for me.
    If I we're to exchange it, do you think Apple will waive the restocking fee?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's possible that they don't charge the restocking fee because you're exchanging it to another Mac. Can't say for sure though, you must ask from them

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Should have got the MBP from the start. You let that new apple product feeling get you.

4. chris y. macrumors regular

Yep from my experience they should be able to do it without charging you a restock fee given the fact that you will likely be spending more money. If not, you can always ask for a manager and explain your situation.

5. karkid macrumors member

Well let me share my story with you....

So i had a i5 2.4GHZ MBP 2010 edition... then apple announced the AIR.... being a university student i loved the idea of the air.. Quickly sold my MBP and walked into the apple store and bought the air. Ended up going with the base 13.3 because the 11.6 was simply too small. However, the 1.86ghz 2GB of ram version was not powerful enough. Then i went for the 2.13GHZ/4GB/256GB SSD version.

Was quite happy with this for all but 2 days. Then i started thinking is it really value for money. made a forum post here. Shortly after i now have my 2.8GHZ/4GB/500GB i7 15" pro with HR-AG, and i must tell you i'm not missing the air at all, Hope this helps :eek:

For me some major reasons for not keeping the air were... Backlight keyboard,cd drive, Core2Duo in 2010, apple should have at least put an i3 in it...

oh and they didn't charge me a restocking fee :) it was waived all 3 times

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Glad you thought about that because you were ripping yourself off.

7. kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Wow, you really went all the way. I'm convinced I'm going to replace it with a MBP, I just have to determine which one now.

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

didnt you try the demo mba in the apple store? if you dont like it their then you wont like it at home.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Because the store is fully lit?

One of the biggest reasons why I still prefer the MBP is the illuminated keyboard.

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Asking for the manager is truly the key. Be courteous, explain the exiting machine does not meet your needs, and they will be happy to sell you what you want, without charging a restocking fee. This is one of Apples good points.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If these are your reasons, you couldn't have figured it out before making the purchase?

12. Hichisky macrumors member

I'm sure he knew it. He just didn't know if it would affect him. Sometimes it boils down to experience.

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

wat

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

at least you are helping restock the refurbs for the rest of us ... thanks

15. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I say go for it. Listen to your intuition. If you aren't comfortable with the MBA then it isn't right. So just take the jump and get a MBP! :)

16. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

Glad you like it because it specs out almost $800 more than the MBA Ultimate you had...

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I personally prefer the screen on the 13" Air. Between the increased resolution and decreased glossiness because of the lack of glass are both things I prefer.

I decided to get a 15" MBP because they didn't increase the screen res on the 13" in the last update.

But if you need the lighted keyboard then the MBP is the obvious choice.

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

19. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

yeah i lol'd at that too...