Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Went to an AppleStore in Omaha tonight to check out the new iMac. Of course at this time they only have the 21.5" on display. Having owned a zillion Macs over the years, I always really enjoy updating to new stuff, so I thought this would be a perfect time to update my wife's 27" i5 with a new one. It's time, it's like almost 3 years old. But upon looking at the new 21.5" I was less than overwhelmed. We all know how fast or slow these can be depending on the type of storage ordered. But what I didn't expect was looking at it feeling like it was more of a look of a iMac mini, like a less powerful machine. I absolutely know it would blow mine away stat wise, but as far as aesthetics, I think it just looked wimpy. Anyone else feel the same way. Maybe seeing a 27" in person may change my feelings, but I would think it's all relative.

P.S.: Also disappointed that there were only 2 iMacs on display, and obviously a ton of iOS products. The kicker is there is always only 1 Mac Pro on display...really the proportions are only 2:1 with iMacs/Mac Pro? Almost shows a sign for things to come in the next 5 years.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Interesting thoughts. I have yet to see one in person so I cannot add my opinion.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think should be changed aesthetically?

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
I've been to two Apple stores in Toronto, Canada and both had quite a bit more iMacs on display than that, so no, it's not telling.

and I don't see the connection between a device's size and its power.. unless you think this bad boy is infinitely more powerful than your imac..

1950s-computer.jpg

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Good to hear the iMac display is store related. As far as the new iMac is concerned, I definitely know that the new one will be more powerful, I'm just saying the aesthetics make it look wimpier. When all is done, I'm sure I'll probably get a new one just to have a new one, but in the same difference between an air and a mbp. Yes, the MBA is beautiful and great, but doesn't a new MBP look more powerful? Maybe I'm just in Colorado smoking something.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
I currently have no no apple products ( except maybe for an really old iPad that I do not even know if it still holds the battery) but after all those weeks watching and reading about the new iMacs and getting used to the new design (I am planning to get a 27 one in January) yesterday I was in a store where they still had the old one on one table and now that I see it I clearly can say that it looks outdated.
I did not notice this before and always found the iMacs very pretty design wise but the differences between the new and the old one are big, maybe not from someone that is already used to the old model, but someone that already has the new model and got used to it I think it clearly sees the differences.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Interesting. I saw my first new iMac in the flesh on Saturday, it was next to an old 27" and behind a gaggle of tweens. My first impression was not that it was wimpy, but that it was small. It made me think that I really could have done with ordering the larger model.

Now, I've just swapped my old 20" for the new model and sat here typing away. The display is bright and clean (and bigger for me); it's quiet, it's cool and above all, it's quick. What seemed small in the store now seems economical on the desktop.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I saw about a week ago in richmond canada (vancouver)...pretty busy apple store all the time...they had a few 21" imacs...5+ where i was looking...store was packed and i was the only one looking at them (ipad ipad and more ipad crowds)...not even any staff over near them...

I liked the compact look,and although in loud apple store i put ear close to it and heard nothing...and it was giving off very little heat (Big diff from model they replace!)

I have a 2006 17" intel 2.16 imac that I'm more then happy with,but if i feel the need in the future, I would be more then pleased to have new model.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I checked out a new 21" iMac in the Burlington Ma store yesterday. It's impressive, with a 1 TB HDD. Tried launching an app (iTunes or Safari) and was surprised that the icon bounced 3 times before the app was on screen. Other than that it was a decent machine. Not happy with losing separate firewire and ethernet ports - I use both ethernet and firewire now.

However, my 2008 24" iMac suits me fine, so I'm holding on to it.

I keep thinking if my iMac dies I'll consider just a Thunderbolt display and plug it into my 2011 MBP and not have a separate desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.