thoughts on 15" vs. 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g-boac, Feb 28, 2011.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Good evening! I currently have a 15" 2010 MBP, previously had a 2007 15" MPB. Purchasing a 2011, and considering a 17 over a 15. But concerned that may be just a tad too large and too heavy. Wanted to ask thoughts of anybody who has owned both, and whether you felt the extra screen real estate and express card slot was a good tradeoff vice the extra size and weight.

A larger screen is always nice, but I don't know wx it would just be too big to use while on the go (e.g., on tray tables, on a train, on a small desk, on my lap). At home, I dock the MBP to an LED cinema display, so screen size is irrelevant at home; just while on the road.

Anyway, any feedback or experience anyone can offer would be useful. The extra $200 price difference isn't the issue for me. . .simply wx the extra size and weight is manageable and a worthwhile trade for the extra size. . .or whether the 17" is more "luggable" than "portable".

thanks!
    Mark

2. kjos8035 macrumors member

Considering it is 1" wider, .75" deeper, and 1lb. heavier it's not much of a "huge" difference. Picking up 1920x1200 is however, especially if you're doing anything where you could utilize the extra space. I've been working off of a 2007 15" MBP for the past few years, and I do like the physical size (pretty much perfect), however being that I'm a web developer and gamer, I decided this time around the screen size will be well worth it.

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It isn't unwieldy, but it certainly isn't fun to lug it around and use in lecture halls/coffee shops/airports etc.

I personally don't use my Macbook anywhere but on my desk, so for me it's perfect, but if you plan on using it in many different places, I'd suggest the 15". In the end though, it really isn't that big of a difference, but it's difference enough to consider.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Go play with it in-store. That's what got me to ultimately pick the 17" :).

5. auero, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

auero macrumors 65816

A pound isn't much and the size surely isn't much difference either. Below is my 15 on top of my 17.

If you don't travel with it all over the place, you'll LOVE the 17". The 17" is still portable so you can take it with you to places. Just be aware if you fly a lot that it might be a little large.

edit: Get the 17" if you can. It's an awesome machine.

[​IMG]

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I personally have the 15" and enjoy lugging it around with me to coffee shops and co-working spaces. Traveling with it has been a breeze too. For times when I need the extra screen real estate (e.g. programming, movies), I just use the 27" Apple Cinema Display that I have at home.

While I'm sure many travel w/ their 17" laptop, portability is definitely something to consider. After playing with the Macbook Air in the store, it's really hard to think of the 17" as a portable laptop.