Thoughts on 24" White iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JMac13, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JMac13 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker here for a long time, but finally decided to sign up. I've wanted an iMac forever now as I just use by Macbook as my primary computer. I was going to wait until they released the new iMacs, but decided that I wanted to save some money to pay off some debt instead.

I came across a 24" White iMac 2.16 ghz 1 gb Ram 250 gig HD w/ the 7300gt video card for only $600! This lady just wants to get rid of it because she bought a newer iMac. I'm going to go look at it today, but I think I will take it home if everything looks good on it. I will upgrade the RAM to 3 gb and the Hard Drive to 500 gb to suit my needs, but do you guys think this is a good deal? I don't do a lot of gaming so the video card is fine for me. I do, however, do a lot of graphic design work and I am hoping with the RAM upgrade that it will run CS3 just fine.

Any thoughts?

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. krackers macrumors member

cha-ching.

A sweet deal.

Buy.Buy.Buy!
    600$ is the price of a good mac mini, and you get an imac.

Check the specs to see whether it suits you.

4. krackers macrumors member

cha-ching.

A sweet deal.

Buy.Buy.Buy!
    600$ is the price of a good mac mini, and you get an imac.

Check the specs to see whether it suits you.

5. JMac13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I think I am going to take it home with me provided everything looks good on it. I will definitely do a RAM upgrade, but after looking at how to replace the Hard Drive, I'm having second thoughts on upgrading that. Maybe I will take it home, upgrade the RAM, dump all of my files on it and see what happens. I have an external firewire drive with 150 Gb. which I can use If I really need to.

6. JMac13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I picked up my new (old) imac today. I have a feeling that I got a REALLY great deal on it. The owner was an older women who really just wanted to get rid of it because she had bought a new one. They were a really well off couple and didn't seem to care that she was basically giving it away. She even had the original box and all and gave me her Aperture 2 for free! I always wanted to try that program out because I'm really into photography.

Anyway, the iMac looks brand new and the thing is bohemoth in size, I couldn't be happier. We picked up some RAM, but they turned out to be the wrong ones so we will go exchange them in the morning.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, that's an awful computer and a rip-off price. Don't waste your money on it.

BTW - what's her phone number???

8. JMac13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, nice try! It's already sitting beautifully on my desk :p

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion