Thoughts on a LTE MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adcx64, Nov 18, 2012.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

With Apple using these tiny LTE chips in the new iPhones and iPads, would you guys buy a MBP with one of these chips? There could be a small nano SIM slot on the side, and it could incorporate the machines WiFi antenna for the radios. With these larger batteries they ship with today, I suspect only nominal battery life decrease, but I could be wrong. The chips themselves are not carrier specific, due to the LTE bands.

Thoughts?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

With the ability to tether to phones I'm not sure it's necessary.

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

sometimes its cheaper to add a data line than tether, but you are correct.

4. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Plus, most of the time there are Wi-FIs available.

5. WarrenFields Guest

I personally wouldn't really want my computer tied to a data plan as I'd much rather just use my phone for tethering just like I do now.

6. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I would buy an lte mbp in an instant. This would make me so happy.

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Not with the data plans currently offered. The Cell companies charge way more than they should for data, in my opinion. $30.00 for 2GB, $50.00 for 5 GB, etc. is just not practical for use with a laptop. If those prices ever become more reasonable, like maybe $30 to $50 or so for unlimited data, then it might be worthwhile.

8. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I cannot see much of a purpose of this...data plans restrict it too much, unless you like wasting a lot of money.

9. markus843 macrumors regular

If they increased the data limit from cellphones, definitely. 5gb is too little for me.

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This... I miss those truly *unlimited* data days from VZ and AT&T. Sprint doesn't count...it's POS !! and I still have'em because of the $20 unlimited everything executive plan!

11. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

sadly the only way this would be practical like you guys said, would be to have unlimited or 10GB+ data. wish the cell companies wouldn't try and milk their customers for every dime!

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

If you want unlimited data on Verizon it's still possible and not that hard to get. I see where US cellular has started offering unlimited data

13. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

verizon used their confusing lingo to get me into a tiered data plan when i bought my iPhone. -____-

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Adding an LTE modem to a Mac is the easy part. The hard part is none of the network APIs are aware of wireless connections. They would attempt to download the latest OS X update on wireless, stealing 1.5GB of your possible 2GB limit like that.

I think we'll have to wait until a new version of OS X for that problem to be solved (it also still exists even when you tethering your phone to your Mac, so they really need to start working on it).

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the biggest issue is that things are changing so much, new revisions of network tech are rolling out every couple of years and the chips are constantly getting smaller and less power hungry. Also there still isn't a single chip/antenna configuration that can work for (almost) all carriers yet. Even the iPhone 5 has to have multiple sub-models to work with different carriers.

I'd rather use a phone or iPad with hotspot functionality for that purpose rather than building it into the laptop. Phones are usually on a two-year purchase/contract cycle, but a laptop could be quite useful for 5 years or even longer. Why tie yourself to a particular carrier and network technology for that long?

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple would be sued for copying the PC makers that have been doing this for years. Being woefully behind, or forcing users to tether is laughable.

17. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I use over 100GB of data per month. No thanks.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3G on the laptop would be nice, but it would mean Apple can't just use that little plastic strip at the hinge. they need to incorporate antennas in to the display; can't imagine them doing that!

19. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

The WiFi antenna is in the Apple logo. Has been for years.

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

if the Ipad has it, don't see why not... unless some hidden business reason.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the MacBook Pro the WiFi antenna has always been in the hinge.

On the iMac, the antenna is in the Apple logo on the back.