Thoughts on a New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elkin30, Jan 24, 2012.

1. elkin30 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm considering buying the October 2011 MacBook Pro 15, the high end one and just wanted some thoughts. I am a college student in an information technology major. I currently have a white 2007 Macbook and it is more than due for an upgrade but it still works just fine.

My Macbook Specs:
    2.0 Core2Duo
    4gb ram
    160gb hdd
    superdrive

I was wondering 2 things:
    First, is the performance upgrade to the 2.4 quad i7 a substantial difference? If I get the 15, I plan on upgrading to 8gb ram.

Second,
    Should I get this computer now or wait for the "newer" ivy bridge macbook pros. With the education discount and everything else, i can get the pro for around $1900.

Thanks in Advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe have a look here to see, if the update is substantial enough for you.

IB will be a bit better, faster and all the shebang, but as we don't know your computational needs, we can't just say, buy this and then buy that, because that is better than these, and so on.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of similar threads, instead of waiting and being fed:
    [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

for general computing you'll not see a huge difference between the i5 and i7. You will notice a big jump in performance between the your current machine and the i5

If you can wait, then wait. Ivy Bridge is due out April/May and presumably after that apple will have the new MBPs