Thoughts on a return of the glass chassis?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakeenzo, Sep 13, 2015.

?

Glass body option?

1. Yay

82.4%
  2. Nay

17.6%
  1. jakeenzo macrumors newbie

Would anyone else like to see the return of a glass chassis in future iPhones? I for one loved the design of the 4 and 4S and I know many others did too.

Would be nice if Apple could have 2 chassis variants for the iPhone, the standard aluminum in it's standard colours and then glass in black and white. Of Course this would add some weight and break Apple's direction of Aluminum body designs, however I think if they could design it in a more sleek form factor it could be pulled off.

What do you guys think?

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It seems to me the vast majority of people put their phone in some kind of case and even more would if it was made of glass. So what would be the point? I don't think it would pay off in sufficient additional sales to essentially go from two models to four. The colour variances are fairly minor. Glass and aluminum would be completely different designs inside and out.

3. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

the 4/4S was the second greatest iPhone design in my opinion (3G/3GS being #1 because it was really ergonomic in the hands due to the curves).

i would love to see glass again.

on a side note, my brother got an LG G4. same size screen as the 6+ but smaller footprint, thicker and curved body. the phone is amazing to hold in hand. if only apple stopped being so dumb trying to make everything paper thin.

4. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I agree that the curved back on those phones make them much easier to hold and use than the iPhone currently is. The iPhone feels quite nice, but the ergonomics are not the best. A return to a glass back would be welcome in my opinion, but I kinda doubt Apple would make it because that glass would have to be really thin. They might include some glass elements like in the 5S, but probably not the whole thing.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't have a problem with seeing the glass back return. I loved my iPhone 4.

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I thought the glass body design was fantastic, and I didn't keep a case on it. We will see what they do but my guess is they switch it up from the aluminum housing going forward.

7. FtrV8 macrumors regular

FtrV8

Agreed with the iPhone 4 one of the best designed phones ever. Loved it.

A variant of that design would be welcomed.