Thoughts on a rMBP 13" with descrete graphics.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlyMac, Aug 28, 2012.

1. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I have always liked the 13" form factor more than the 15" when traveling. The only reason I purchase 15" pros is because of the graphics.

What are your thoughts on the graphics power of the 13" verson rMBP. Do you think it will stick with intel 4000 only or will we finally see discrete graphics on a 13" model? I hope for the latter but feel it will most likely be the former. Any articles that point one way or the other?

2. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I think its going to be very hard.

look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSHPMSS_AlU

when you see the vaio, which is basically as thin as you can get a full quad core, in a 13 frame, and how close it is to the mbp, there is just no way.

Sony is not what they used to be but they still have technical marvel in their engineer departments. even with kepler I just think there is no way. you would gain nothing from it. with how powerful 4000 is right now, you can do great photoshop and adobe working, outside of stuff like after effects and premier with it, and since video editing is almost off limits for 13 inchers outside fat unportable workstations, and since gaming is not on the agenda for apple, I don't see their being a chance in hell.

the macbook air 13 is the king. if you want macbook air but want to do more, but not related to video you can get the premium yet more affordable macbook pro. not ULV, but full on. the intel HD graphics will be as good as they can, and they will run you starcraft 2 on low and teamfortress 2 on high, but thats it.

the 13 MBP retina will give a price point between the MBA13 and the 2200 rMBP 15. A halfway meeting point between them.

But ask yourself - the rMBP is so thin and light now, its basically a 13 inch normal laptop with a larger screen. the bezel is impressively small, yet it weighs so much less.

3. crossi81 macrumors member