Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
My opinion differs and I feel that a personal assistant is sorely needed on Android, similar to Siri and Cortana

Again, why?

----------

I know, but it's our device - we should be able to at least organise apps how the user wants. I prefer to keep home screens to a minimum and have my app drawer organised - especially when it can be littered with system apps that you just don't want the app icon for inside eg.. google search app icon - when I can access search from a myriad other places directly - its needless - so I'd like to clean that up and stick it in a folder along with other apps.

It just irks me that a feature of almost every other android skin - and every other mobile OS is still unavailable on stock android.

And the wallpaper situation is ridiculous in 2014.

If that's what you want, then use launcher that has that feature. There are several options out there. The Google Now launcher doesn't work that way, because that's not how it's designed. The good thing is, if that's something you want, you can use a launcher that does have that feature.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Again, why?

----------

If that's what you want, then use launcher that has that feature. There are several options out there. The Google Now launcher doesn't work that way, because that's not how it's designed. The good thing is, if that's something you want, you can use a launcher that does have that feature.

This is a thread on stock Android Lollipop - I should not need to use a third party launcher to get 'basic' features in a shiny new 2014 OS. We were asked on our thoughts on android lollipop... Those are mine.

Even if you use an alternative launcher - it doesn't solve the wallpaper issue on a stock android device.

I find it a contradiction that people defend Stock Google Now Launcher's limitations with 'it was designed that way, use an alternative', whilst in the next breath criticise the likes of iOS or other android skins like Touchwiz.

In many ways I prefer stock android over a manufacturers skin, and I otherwise like Google Now launcher - but in this regard - its limitations are really nonsensical as they would not dilute what Google's vision for the OS - it would enhance it and its usability. A simple OS - should not require jumping through hoops and third party apps to have a different wallpaper on my home screen and lock screen. And whilst Nova is a good launcher - its app drawer management is archaic too.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I know, but it's our device - we should be able to at least organise apps how the user wants. I prefer to keep home screens to a minimum and have my app drawer organised - especially when it can be littered with system apps that you just don't want the app icon for inside eg.. google search app icon - when I can access search from a myriad other places directly - its needless - so I'd like to clean that up and stick it in a folder along with other apps.

It just irks me that a feature of almost every other android skin - and every other mobile OS is still unavailable on stock android.

And the wallpaper situation is ridiculous in 2014.

I agree on the wall paper situation.

I find it annoying that Google doesn't include device optimizations in stock Android. There is no reason for the N5 and N6 to score as low as they do in benchmarks with the hardware they have. You would think by now that Qualcomm would be willing to give Google the optimized binaries for Snapdragon devices....

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
This is a thread on stock Android Lollipop - I should not need to use a third party launcher to get 'basic' features in a shiny new 2014 OS. We were asked on our thoughts on android lollipop... Those are mine.

Even if you use an alternative launcher - it doesn't solve the wallpaper issue on a stock android device.

I find it a contradiction that people defend Stock Google Now Launcher's limitations with 'it was designed that way, use an alternative', whilst in the next breath criticise the likes of iOS or other android skins like Touchwiz.

In many ways I prefer stock android over a manufacturers skin, and I otherwise like Google Now launcher - but in this regard - its limitations are really nonsensical as they would not dilute what Google's vision for the OS - it would enhance it and its usability.

That's just it, I don't consider it a limitation at all. It's simply the way it works. One thing I never liked about skinned UI's is that the drawer could be changed. I prefer it to layout exactly how it does in the Google Now launcher.
The whole point of Android is that you can change whatever it is that you don't like. In this case, if you don't like the feature set or layout of the Google Now launcher, then don't use the Google Now launcher. In that lies the difference between iOS and Android.....With Android, if you don't like something, the solution is to change it. With iOS, if you don't like something, the solution is to learn to like it.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
If you don't know why consumers would want a personal assistant on a smartphone then I have no idea how I would even begin to explain the concept to you.

So in other words, you can't explain why you think this is "needed".... :rolleyes:

If you're going to say it's needed, you should at least be able to substantiate that with some sort of reasoning as to why.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The whole point of Android is that you can change whatever it is that you don't like. In this case, if you don't like the feature set or layout of the Google Now launcher, then don't use the Google Now launcher. In that lies the difference between iOS and Android.....With Android, if you don't like something, the solution is to change it. With iOS, if you don't like something, the solution is to learn to like it.

Color me surprised but I have to admit, I completely agree animalx's sentiment. Yes, stock Android could offer additional features but unlike iOS, if something isn't there for the most part you have the ability to go get it.

----------

Again, why?

As much as I like all the curated info the Google Now offers, I agree with spinedoc that Google needs to improve Google Now's 'assistant' functionality, especially with the prevalence of the 'always listening element.' I'd also have same the results spinedoc mentioned when trying to perform a task with voice commands. If it's difficult to perform simple requests like sending a text message, it eliminated the value added to having it always listening.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Color me surprised but I have to admit, I completely agree animalx's sentiment. Yes, stock Android could offer additional features but unlike iOS, if something isn't there for the most part you have the ability to go get it.

----------

Exactly. You start off with a blank slate so to speak, and you add what you want to it.

As much as I like all the curated info the Google Now offers, I agree with spinedoc that Google needs to improve Google Now's 'assistant' functionality, especially with the prevalence of the 'always listening element.' I'd also have same the results spinedoc mentioned when trying to perform a task with voice commands. If it's difficult to perform simple requests like sending a text message, it eliminated the value added to having it always listening.
My question is, what do you consider a "personal assistant" to be. When you mention it being difficult to send text messages that way, why do you say that? In my experience, it's quite easy and I use it several times a day. Would you mind clarifying on that?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So in other words, you can't explain why you think this is "needed".... :rolleyes:

If you're going to say it's needed, you should at least be able to substantiate that with some sort of reasoning as to why.

Huh? It's just so obvious I didn't think it needed explaining. Don't you think there are literally millions of smartphone users who appreciate and use Siri and Cortana?

Anyhow lets play captain obvious. For me one of the most functions is making a phone call without interacting with the phone, for example when I'm driving. I am aware that google now provides this function to a certain extent, but it seriously pales in comparison to Siri, it's just goofy for lack of a better term. Sometimes I get google now, other times I get this weird Google voice dialer which I have no idea why or how to turn it off. Google now handling phone calls is hit or miss, my best example is "call Mario", half the time it does an internet search for super Mario brothers. That's the issue is that it's forcing an internet search down my throat when I have no need of it, I just want to make a phone call. The same is true of other functions, you get that internet search shoved down your throat. With Siri it doesn't do that, it knows you need to make a phone call and with no nonsense does that perfectly EVERY time.

Also that goofy google voice dialer is actually worse than Samsung S-voice, which is saying a lot because S-voice is atrocious. With the google voice dialer it almost never picks up when I append "mobile" or "home" to my request, so I end up doing redundant things, here is an example of calling:

Google now: press Bluetooth button, have a VERY loud chime, wonder what damage it's causing... "call Mario mobile" internet search for super Mario bros, reach out to my phone and cancel it, start again, loud chime again, hope it goes through, it finally goes through on my 3rd attempt, "call Mario mobile", which number would you like to dial yadda yadda another 30 seconds of my time wasted, say "mobile" wait for confirmation yadda yadda... finally call goes through.

Siri: press Bluetooth button, nice chime same as system volume... "call Mario mobile" instantly calls the number, no nonsense, no issues.

Now I understand google now is not meant as a personal assistant, but that's my entire point. Fix it to be a personal assistant when I need it, OR invent a personal assistant for the Android OS.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Huh? It's just so obvious I didn't think it needed explaining. Don't you think there are literally millions of smartphone users who appreciate and use Siri and Cortana?

Anyhow lets play captain obvious. For me one of the most functions is making a phone call without interacting with the phone, for example when I'm driving. I am aware that google now provides this function to a certain extent, but it seriously pales in comparison to Siri, it's just goofy for lack of a better term. Sometimes I get google now, other times I get this weird Google voice dialer which I have no idea why or how to turn it off. Google now handling phone calls is hit or miss, my best example is "call Mario", half the time it does an internet search for super Mario brothers. That's the issue is that it's forcing an internet search down my throat when I have no need of it, I just want to make a phone call. The same is true of other functions, you get that internet search shoved down your throat. With Siri it doesn't do that, it knows you need to make a phone call and with no nonsense does that perfectly EVERY time.

Also that goofy google voice dialer is actually worse than Samsung S-voice, which is saying a lot because S-voice is atrocious. With the google voice dialer it almost never picks up when I append "mobile" or "home" to my request, so I end up doing redundant things, here is an example of calling:

Google now: press Bluetooth button, have a VERY loud chime, wonder what damage it's causing... "call Mario mobile" internet search for super Mario bros, reach out to my phone and cancel it, start again, loud chime again, hope it goes through, it finally goes through on my 3rd attempt, "call Mario mobile", which number would you like to dial yadda yadda another 30 seconds of my time wasted, say "mobile" wait for confirmation yadda yadda... finally call goes through.

Siri: press Bluetooth button, nice chime same as system volume... "call Mario mobile" instantly calls the number, no nonsense, no issues.

Now I understand google now is not meant as a personal assistant, but that's my entire point. Fix it to be a personal assistant when I need it, OR invent a personal assistant for the Android OS.

My moto X makes phone calls just fine every time.

Me: "OK Google Now" (hands free without touching anything)
Me: "Call [person's name]"
Phone: "Calling..[person's name] on their mobile phone"

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Siri: press Bluetooth button, have a VERY loud chime, wonder what damage it's causing... "call Mario mobile" internet search for super Mario bros, reach out to my phone and cancel it, start again, loud chime again, hope it goes through, it finally goes through on my 3rd attempt, "call Mario mobile", which number would you like to dial yadda yadda another 30 seconds of my time wasted, say "mobile" wait for confirmation yadda yadda... finally call goes through.

Google now: press Bluetooth button, nice chime same as system volume... "call Mario mobile" instantly calls the number, no nonsense, no issues.

fixed.

I am using an iphone now, and you are lying to yourself if you think siri is better than google now.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
fixed.

I am using an iphone now, and you are lying to yourself if you think siri is better than google now.

Well, my experience using Google Now to perform tasks was unfortunately often closer to spinedoc's description.

Don't get me wrong, I like Google Now a lot, especially for the info curation--something Apple doesn't come close to offering. And I know they've added more functionality recently (i.e. searching with an app) but more often than not, when I tried to send text messages or place a call, I would end up with Google searches rather than tasks.

Also it may just be an issue with my car but when my Android phones were linked via bluetooth, I couldn't activate the search via voice command--my car's phone button would only make direct calls and the voice button was limited to the car's voice activation. However, on an iPhone, I can activate Siri by voice (keep my phone plugged in when driving) and she'll activate and will still pick up my voice commands, all completely hands free.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
fixed.

I'm not lying to myself, I just like the convenience of Siri. Otherwise I can't stand iOS and highly prefer Android, it's just that google now is a pitiful personal assistant. Your portrayal isn't accurate IMO. Siri's Bluetooth chime is the same as system volume, and appending "mobile" for example is eerily accurate, in start contrast to google now, and it NEVER does an internet search.

Just for the record I'm NOT saying I don't like google now, I love it. But as a personal assistant it's terrible.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not lying to myself, I just like the convenience of Siri. Otherwise I can't stand iOS and highly prefer Android, it's just that google now is a pitiful personal assistant. Your portrayal isn't accurate IMO. Siri's Bluetooth chime is the same as system volume, and appending "mobile" for example is eerily accurate, in start contrast to google now, and it NEVER does an internet search.

Just for the record I'm NOT saying I don't like google now, I love it. But as a personal assistant it's terrible.

Ahh well then I somewhat agree. Siri is a better personal assistant, but Google now is great for virtually everything else.

Quaranz

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Deep in the Shadows
Ahh well then I somewhat agree. Siri is a better personal assistant, but Google now is great for virtually everything else.

True for the most part, i love saying OK Google on my Nexus 5 on any screen for a simple search or doing simple tasks like setting alarms and to play a song etc. But one thing i still can not fathom why it can't do is turn off alarms, thats a major annoyance in that Google Now cant turn off alarms while Siri on the other hand can do it. Personally if Google improved GNow tohave Cortana/Siri personality it would be hands down the best personal assistant and for right now it is for the most part, but even Google Now needs some improvements least not Siri

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Yes what? Where there is downgraded quality?

In the place were the images are stored of course. Where else?

I wonder if it's just my Nexus 5 or others have the same issue after going for Android 5. The cam for mine isn't really usable anymore.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
In the place were the images are stored of course. Where else?

I wonder if it's just my Nexus 5 or others have the same issue after going for Android 5. The cam for mine isn't really usable anymore.
I don't see it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417701622632.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417701622632.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 105

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013

So Spinedoc77, my question to you again is, why does it "need" to be a "personal assistant"? :confused:

----------

Well, my experience using Google Now to perform tasks was unfortunately often closer to spinedoc's description.

Don't get me wrong, I like Google Now a lot, especially for the info curation--something Apple doesn't come close to offering. And I know they've added more functionality recently (i.e. searching with an app) but more often than not, when I tried to send text messages or place a call, I would end up with Google searches rather than tasks.

Also it may just be an issue with my car but when my Android phones were linked via bluetooth, I couldn't activate the search via voice command--my car's phone button would only make direct calls and the voice button was limited to the car's voice activation. However, on an iPhone, I can activate Siri by voice (keep my phone plugged in when driving) and she'll activate and will still pick up my voice commands, all completely hands free.

I use voice commands on my phone, whether it's plugged in or not. This is especially nice when I'm in the shower, or already in the bed and feeling to lazy to get up.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
YouTube: video

So Spinedoc77, my question to you again is, why does it "need" to be a "personal assistant"? :confused:

----------

I use voice commands on my phone, whether it's plugged in or not. This is especially nice when I'm in the shower, or already in the bed and feeling to lazy to get up.

I was given a iPhone 6 from work yesterday and Siri seemed to work ok until I connected it to my bluetooth handset and it was a total joke the things it was coming back with just trying to dial a number.

Also you are right about spinedoc...no clue what he is talking about.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I got to toy around with a Nexus 6 and 9 recently and honestly lollipop doesn't seem to be the huge update that betters android that everyone has been talking about. But then again I'm basing this on 10 minutes of use.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
YouTube: video

----------

Debunking eh? Well let's REbunk that and make sure we are all on the same page.

The first video is using google now to call one of my contacts named Mario. I'll repeat that this happens about half the time. I've actually not done it in a long and I see Google now has actually gotten worse, it used to do internet search thing right away, but now it keeps asking me for the contact name. For the record I do have contact recognition enabled in the google now settings.

The 2nd video is what I was talking about with the mobile never being recognized over Bluetooth. This is googles voice dialer, it's more accurate than google now but it takes freakin forever to dial. What you can't hear in that video is the VERY loud chime, yes I'm a health professional and IMO it's loud enough to possibly cause damage on an extended basis. Also note that the google dialer sporadically switches its audio output from my headset back to the phone, and also changes the volume to be louder for no reason. You see how painful it is to dial, first you say the name, then when it doesn't recognize the "mobile" you have to wait for it to talk then you pick which phone, then you have to listen to the blah blah again and confirm. It's a VERY tedious process, especially when careening down the highway at 80mph. It's not all that accurate anyway, if I say "call Mario mobile" it calls someone else who's full name kind of sounds like Mario Mobile.

These are MY results, I don't put them out there as representative of anyone else's experience. Maybe my voice isn't recognized as well, I don't know. But I NEVER experience any of these symptoms with Siri. Once again I use a note 4 as my primary phone, I haven't used iOS as my main OS in a good 6+ months. I don't like iOS, I find Android to suit my needs much better for most stuff.

Anyhoo...

Google Now and Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7lmYtC83XA&list=UUfK2-8-qVNrxMENU5bq9Gvg

Google Voice assistant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oips_1O2g_c&index=1&list=UUfK2-8-qVNrxMENU5bq9Gvg

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
fixed.

They aren't the same thing. It's debatable if Siri and Google now are even competitors as far as I am concerned.

Siri and Cortana are far closer, while Google Now is a different animal.

They do overlap in some areas, though generally I prefer Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.