Thoughts on "Apple Apps"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbwinkle, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bbwinkle macrumors member

I know it's just guessing right now or assuming, but does anyone think Apple will ever allow us to "hide" or "remove" the original apps that come with the iPhone so they won't be shown on a page? I know I can jailbreak to do this but I don't want to do that. I guess I just like being safe and knowing I won't mess it up.
    :cool:

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

I doubt it. This is the main reason I want to jailbreak. I don't want the youtube or stocks apps.

3. toonzes macrumors newbie

Why don't you just move the apps you don't want to see to an "extra" last page on the home screen?

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can hide youtube by turning on parental controls for youtube

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

Cool, thanks! Now if only you could do the same for Stocks. What if your Stocks are bombing and you don't want your children to know!? :D

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i wish i could do that too. the only app that is pointless.......BEYOND POINTLESS is the "contact" app.

uh...why? just hit the phone icon and there they are. so dumb.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I go to Contacts when I want ALL the info I have on a person.

When I'm in Google Maps and search contacts, it shows me Addresses only.

When I'm in Mail and I search contacts it shows me e-mail address only.

When I'm in SMS it shows phone numbers only.

This is nice. This is clutter-free. This is how it should be. I don't WANT to see everything in all those situations. It's nice to have those sections cut out what I don't want and leave all the info to the main Contact app. That's what the Contact app is for. It's got everything.

There is, however, one problem here. And that is the Phone app. Unlike these other apps, it DOES show everything, just like Contacts does. You're right! This is strange, and it should be changed!

So you're right, there is a problem. But you've got the solution wrong. It's not the 'Contacts' app that's the problem. It's the fact that the Phone app contains e-mail addresses and addresses. They should take those out of there and just list phone numbers in the phone app.

So, yes, there's a problem. But your solution is backwards.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wait a sec, where's the "Thoughts on Apple Apps"? And what are you "guessing or assuming"? You asked a question. That's not a guess, an assumption, or a thought, it's a QUESTION.

I want my click back. Someone call Jack Handy.

9. cmattern80 macrumors newbie

mobile chat

what a ****** app and i paid for it. It worked when i first got it then all of a sudden nothin tried uninstalling and reinstalling nothin. i use palringo way better app and its FREE.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's been a standard phone format though?
    The contact itself is v. useful - e.g. You can write a text, then add someone, or going through the contact list, and selecting to call them, or fax them mail them mail them call their mobile...

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

neither palringo or mobilechat are apple apps...

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Especially since I found that the Contacts Tab is a lot faster in loading and shorter delay in searches than the Contacts App.

13. slidetounlock macrumors regular

I can do with out the weather and stocks apps, i know the weather when I walk out the door everyday. And the stocks app, I have tons of stock in various companies and I'd rather do that on my personal laptop where i have access to my financial programs

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Apparently, that's too simple of a solution.

15. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

how do you remove them even after you jailbreak

16. slicecom macrumors 68020

It gives you the option to hide any app you want.

17. joebokeh macrumors member

Seriously... What happens if u live in the saharah desert... I don't need weather to tell me it's effin hot outside... It's been hot for the past century, it's gonna be effin hot tomorrow... Let me delete weather!!

18. stevearm macrumors 6502a

oh my god, what a long winded way of saying absolutely nothing.

Keep the Phone app as it says, with every bit of contact info in the contacts list. Get rid of the pointless (and even slower) 'Contacts' app.

Simple.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I disagree.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That makes as much sense as pressing a button labeled Start to shutdown a computer. How many threads do you want to read in this forum: Q. "Where are my contacts?" A. "Press Phone." As other posters have pointed out. Phone to talk, SMS to text, etc.

21. miniyou64 macrumors regular

miniyou64

The contacts app allows you to add information to a contact or add a contact while you're on the phone with someone who is dictating this info to you. It was a missed feature of iPhone 1.x software which wouldn't allow this, because during a call tapping the phone icon would just bring you to the in call menu, without access to contact edits. I had to use notes to write down numbers before Contacts came along and for me it's 100% necessary.

22. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I like the contact app and I am glad it's there.

23. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

good point. i now like the contacts app.

24. miniyou64 macrumors regular

miniyou64

Haha cool, I'm convertin' people to app likers

25. Lightbrazer macrumors member

The problem is with the contact apps, it's with the piss poor to non existant instruction manual for the iphone. Yes I know they have that "reference" guide burried in Safarii but wouldn't it be great if they had a REAL manual included with the phone that pointed out neat things like "fyi the contact app is there so you can see contacts while on a call and edit them, that's why it looks like a duplicate of the phone 'contacts' tab but isn't" "fyi you can put a phone on speakerphone and then hit the home button and launch any app that plays sounds and as long as you're on speakerphone any sounds the app plays can be heard on the other end, so you can let them listen to your recordings or play your sound effect progs through the phone" etc. or heck, how about the you can be on the phone and launch apps hitting the home button period. Three of my coworkers were amazed with that, they thought hitting home would end the call!