Thoughts on Apple Bluetooth Headset?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by readerbreader, Jun 17, 2010.

1. readerbreader macrumors regular

I've been thinking of buying one for driving. nothing too fancy, but i like the style of Apples. any thoughts?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Had one. It worked okay, but it wouldn't stay in my ear, and I think I have average ears (thanks you very much!). I wanted to like it. I'm really happy with the Jawbone Icon.

3. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Apple makes a bluetooth headset? They had one that flopped a couple of years back IIRC, but I don't think they make one currently. I could be wrong though.

The Plantronics Voyager Pro is the best there is and I've used most of them out there over the years. I initially liked the Jawbone Icon a little better (it cancels noise slightly better in some situations but not all) but overall voice quality was definitely not as good. Another thing I really didn't like about the Icon was that you cannot mute or control the volume from the headset itself. Having to use the phone to adjust the volume or put a caller on mute kind of defeats the purpose of a WIRELESS headset. I work from home and use my bluetooth all day long. Sometimes I may sneak off to the bathroom during a long conference call (TMI, I know) and with the Jawbone, there is no way to mute the call if I leave my phone in the other room (it's typically plugged into the computer charging).

I'm super anal about this sort of thing and I repeated the same battery of (very thorough) tests with both headsets under a variety of conditions. In almost every situation, those on the other end of the call preferred talking to me on the Plantronics. The only test that the Jawbone edged out the Plantronics in was under LOUD music and even then, not all preferred the Jawbone to the Plantronics. Not that I would ever be talking on the phone with that kind of background noise anyway. For more realistic scenarios (TV or radio at normal volumes - similar to the noise floor in a restaurant or coffee shop where I *do* sometimes work), the Plantronics was everyone's preferred choice. Most thought I sounded too "tinny" on the Jawbone in comparison to the Plantronics.

Hope this helps!

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

It is not a great BT headset. Stick to a Jawbone or something by Plantronics.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

recently bought the jawbone icon (assassin) and it's awesome, only wish it was a little louder, then again... im deaf .. :(

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

If you are interested in one OP, I am selling mine right now for $50. It is in great condition, and works good I just don't ever use it. I bought it with my 3G and used it maybe 10 times.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I never like the headsets but I have a BT system with my Alpine car stereo. It's made by Parrot and it's a pretty good unit.

9. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i like the combo dock/charger although i don't think it's compatible with any generation other than the first iphone (the dock station that is). it didn't fit very well nor did it block out background noise all that great. the only reason to get it is because it has an apple logo on it (which is pretty retarded).

i've been using a Sound ID headset for the last 6 months or so and it's pretty good. similar styling to the apple headset, fits fantastic, blocks out background noise, and sounds very good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I don't think they make it anymore. I'd go for a Jawbone too.

11. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Do you have a CF hood to go with that? :D

12. statisticschick macrumors newbie

I tried several different Bluetooth headsets, including Apples and the Jawbone. Hated them all. The call quality was always average, it was something else I had to remember to charge, they rarely stayed in my ear, and they were always very susceptible to interference. I talk on the phone a fair amount for work (or have to listen into conference calls) and my iPhone is my only phone. The best solution for me has simply been to use my headphones, the same ones I use to listen to music. I invested in a decent pair (VModa Vibe II) and they have been great for both music and phone conversations. The call quality is crystal clear on both sides of the conversation.

13. Timechaser macrumors member

I picked up the new Sound ID 510 at AT&T a few weeks ago for $129 and so far I am loving it.

I bet that I have tried a half a dozen or more bluetoothes that didn't work out for me as well as the headphones that came with the iPhone.

But these by Sound ID are keepers for sure, they are quite comfortable, have a long battery life and the sound quality is very good for me and the person I am talking to.

This device will also stream music from my iPhone and my iPad, now for just one tiny speaker I must say the sound is better than I had expected - not flat or dull but a full and rather rich sound.

There is even a free iPhone app that allows you to customize the sound, check the battery level and locate the device if you happen to miss place it.

I am going to be getting my husband one of these for Fathers Day.

With AT&T in store return policy you can try these out for 30 days to see if the will be right for you, the price may seem high for some folks but I think they are worth the every penny.

Here is a link - http://www.soundid.com/sid510/overview.html

14. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I agree that the Sound ID 510 is a great device! I have had two different Jawbones and a few others-I will have to say that this is the best one for me.