Thoughts on best resale value Fusion vs SSD ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tumbleweed666, May 10, 2013.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I am considering a 27 inch with either 1Tb Fusion, or 512Gb SSD.

Which do folks think will have the better resale value in say 3 years time?

On purchase, the difference is about USD $400 (UK £260) extra for the SSD. Which I suspect wont give much extra performance for me in practice over the 128Gb of the Fusion drive, as my current internal disk has only about 200Gb of which a fair percentage probably isn't used much. (obviously I could get the 256GB SSD but I suspect that might not be very popular for resale)

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I really don't think it will be that much of a difference. Maybe $100 bucks or so. I think full SSD would matter more to people looking for a laptop. The Fusion Drive is the best of both worlds anyway. High capacity storage at a lower price and most of the benefits of having a full SSD.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I think it's a coin toss of which will hold it's value better. As for the 256GB SSD, you're right it probably is too small for most people and would actually be a risk for you over time if you come close to filling it.

I also tend to not worry about resale value as much as I worry about if it fits my needs. If you were a person who upgraded with each new model, the I could see resale value being important in the decision.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Had the exact same thoughts. In 3 years there will be much larger SSD/Flash drives at half the price. I and others are moving toward large storage outside the computer. Apple is closing the systems 1 by 1. Externals are fast these days, so why not buy speed and not be concerned with storage size?

I think Fusion will fade quickly when flash matures.

5. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I agree. I think with the popularity of laptops and tablets the market for external storage will boom. With the lack of interest in desktop computers you will see external storage ssd options for very good prices in the future. With that I think your internal ssd or fusion storage will have far less value then a large hdd. Once people can buy a 1 tb ssd for cheap it won't matter what is inside. With thunderbolt it will be just as fast external. For resale I think gpu and processor and ram will be what holds its value not storage.