Thoughts on Blackberry App World

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sers, Aug 16, 2009.

1. sers macrumors regular

Got the chance to mess around with a friend's Blackberry Bold this weekend. used it for about an hour while he used my iPhone. I went to the BB App World and couldn't believe how expensive some of the apps are. We're talking in the range of $30, $50, even $300. There were a lot like this. The other thing I noticed that a lot of apps that are free in the App Store are not in the App World. For example, a flashlight app was $3.69, whereas you can get something like that for free in the App Store. Is there a reason why the BB Apps are so expensive? I realize some iPhone apps are expensive as well, but nothing like in the App World!

Nonetheless, I was glad to get my iPhone back. I found navigating around BB's OS a little confusing and difficult. I guess I just wasn't used to it. I'm used to touching, flipping, scrolling, pinching and expanding with my figures as opposed to using a trackball. However, the BB does have a lot more features that the iPhone doesn't have. To each their own I suppose.

Cheers.
    :)

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's how Verizon is. I work for them, they have a bunch of cheap crappy games in the Get In Now or Media center for all their other phones, and even low quality games that suck require a monthly payment of $2-$4 dollars as a "subscription". So basically you have to buy the games again every month even if you don't use it. Verizon likes your money in their pocket.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Their apps are VERY expensive. I get they look at it like this: Blackberry is a business phone used by a lot of top executives, and I'm sure they can afford whatever we have in the App Store.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm more appalled by BB App World's lack of selection than the prices. But the prices are no good either.

5. nyisles84 macrumors regular

it has nothing to do with verizon. the Blackberry App World is by Blackberry, for all Blackberry's on any carrier

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I was just pointing out that Verizon's version of the Apps Store isn't any better than blackberry's. :p

7. nyisles84 macrumors regular

oh yea, well in that case i fully agree, glad to be gone from there. I would hate buying an app through verizon, eventually deleting it, yet still being charged for the "subscription" even tho I had not had that app for quite some time

8. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

This is coming from a BB Storm user (well.. use to be..) I was going to leave Verizon.. and I told a rep's supervisor that I was going back to the iPhone.. I was tired of my Voyager and after my 5th one, I was DONE! She talked me into staying with Verizon, and getting the BB Storm.. she said.. and I quote.. "The Blackberry Storm is APP for APP with the iPhone) WHTFE!! It is not even close.. The only free apps were pointless, and the good apps they DID have were 10 bucks and up. Not to mention you have to go through PayPal to use it. That was an act of congress. If you have ever used paypal, you know what I mean. They had to authorize my card by depositing 2 different amounts and then when i got my statement and told them the amounts of each deposit, THEN and only THEN I could use my paypal on The App World. None of the apps are as nice as some on the iPhone. I love things like Fluid, Aqua Forest, Crayon Physics Deluxe.. and they had nothing even CLOSE to it..

The App World is trying really hard to be like the App Store.. unfortunately for BB users.. RIM has failed horribly. Get better apps and lower the prices. The end.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I find it funny you work for Verizon and you have an iPhone :D

10. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Me too! And an iphone on tmobile, if I'm remembering correctly from his other posts :D