Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
Problem is that the only other source of near decent older phones is Swappa. However their standards seem to be slipping. Mint used to mean just that - now it includes battery life of 85%(??) and I've even seen a seller claiming a mint phone with only "minor" scuffs/scratches on the screen??? And of course Apple knows that and sets their prices accordingly - so in order to even get to par with an Apple refurb you probably have another $100 for a new battery.
I was able to find a genuine mint/sealed iPhone XS applecare replacement unit. I feel they are still there, just have to look and filter more carefully.

But yeah, I bought a "mint" XS Max for my father last year, and it had noticeable scratches on the back of it. I feel like most people would overlook it but I saw them when looking at it carefully in a well lit room. He didn't really care, but I think they need a serious definition overhaul of mint condition.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I was able to find a genuine mint/sealed iPhone XS applecare replacement unit. I feel they are still there, just have to look and filter more carefully.

But yeah, I bought a "mint" XS Max for my father last year, and it had noticeable scratches on the back of it. I feel like most people would overlook it but I saw them when looking at it carefully in a well lit room. He didn't really care, but I think they need a serious definition overhaul of mint condition.
Did you complain to the seller or Swappa though? It’s been a while since I’ve used Swappa, but I recall the moderators just look at pictures that are uploaded, so they wouldn’t have necessarily been able to see those scratches…

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
Did you complain to the seller or Swappa though? It’s been a while since I’ve used Swappa, but I recall the moderators just look at pictures that are uploaded, so they wouldn’t have necessarily been able to see those scratches…
Yeah. They took like $25 off.

• Angry
Reactions: mpavilion

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Of course, if you plan to keep either phone until it is basically worthless then resale value is less relevant.
That’s typically how I roll. 😆

In fact, I posted this question now, though it’s not really time relevant (e.g., I may wait until the iPhone 16 series and consider a refurb iPhone 13 Pro or 14 Pro). However, if the iPhone 15 is dubbed iPhone XV that’d be an extra incentive. :)

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Jump on a cricket wireless bandwagon or metro: those guys giving away iPhone 11 for 50-90 bucks, while apple gives trade in of 200. At least by the time we come to iPhone 15, these older models can be turned in at a profit or 0 g/l.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
An option I go down with refurbished (used) iPhones is to buy one that looks in great condition but has a knackered battery and then take it to Apple for a new battery. This can often come in at a price much below either an Apple refurb or a second hand great condition phone with 85-95% battery health.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'm a big fan of purchasing older model refurb or used iPhones, especially if you don't use or need the newer hardware or software features. I mean, honestly, how many people are going to shoot a 4K movie using their iPhone? Or need to send a satellite SOS message? There is want and there is need. About six months ago, I "upgraded" from an iPhone 8 to iPhone SE 2020.. I like the Home button. Cost me $150 I think? Does everything I need... but you might need something more.
The SOS feature is tempting, but I have a Verizon based number and ATT number on my phone, so that should cover many areas.

But 5G is kind of a state of flux. The basic 5G in the 12 Pro is better than the first generation LTE Apple had, but it didn't include parts of C-Band.

Right now, my backup phone is a 2016 SE. What I'm considering is getting a new phone this fall, making it my primary (both my main carriers support eSIM), and using my 12 Pro as my backup phone in case of emergency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.