thoughts on CleanMyMac3/Gemini 2?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kofman13, Apr 26, 2018.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

I am on 2015 rMBP i5/8gb high sierra. running pretty well but it is definitely a bit clunkier and slower than it was a year ago when i got it.

I used clean my mac 1 on my 2009 macbook ages ago and it used to get rid of alot of cache files and speed things up once a month sometimes 10gb of files at a time. Tempted to get cleanmymac 3 for my current mac or gemini 2. any thoughts on these apps these days? i ran the trial to scan and it found like 14gb in random places it would clean. although i could probably do it manually for each location, this seems really convenient

2. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Personally, I'd avoid anything like that. The operating system is designed to work a certain way for performance reasons. Yes, you can delete caches and logs which might give you a bit of extra space on your disk, but they'll just get rebuilt over the next few days or so because they're there to help the OS work.

The OS does its own maintenance to clear out old logs and caches on a regular schedule so something like this isn't necessary. Wasting your money really.

3. splifingate macrumors 6502

splifingate

With thousands of photos, and multiple copies of each in different phases of folder-structures, G2 has worked well for me to visually compare and weed-out the copies of the copies that I no longer need.

Specific-Use-Scenario, but it has saved me hours of comparison.

Regards, splifingate