Thoughts on "Contacts" organizer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Southflkid, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Southflkid macrumors newbie

Hey everyone...long time lurker here...I used to be a big fan of Treo's back in the day and one of the things I enjoyed about them is you could categorize your phone contacts into categories such as "Personal", "Work", etc. This allowed the user to not have to scroll through such a long list of contacts. Does Palm (or HP or whomever now owns Palm's intellectual property) have a lock on that sort of feature. It would be great to have that feature come to iOS as I have a ton of contacts in my iPhone4. Anybody else have the same thoughts?? Thanks.

2. mltaylor macrumors regular

I believe you can already do this. I never had a palm so maybe I'm misspeaking but in contacts I have a few different categories. Exhcange (work) category, from mac, etc

3. Southflkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me re-phrase...the Treo's had a dop down arrow in the top right of the screen when looking at the contacts list. If you selected "All", then all of your contacts appeared on the screen. If you selected "Work" or "Business" then only those contacts would appear on the screen. The drop down list was user customizable, so you could create your opwn categories...I always thought that the feature was very very usefull and always wondered why a variation of it doesn't appear on the iPhone.

4. BCCISProf macrumors newbie

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It can already do that. At the top left of the contacts there is a tab that says Groups. You can use that to sort your contacts. However, I don't think you can add a group field to a contact that you are creating on your iPhone. You have to do that in Address Book if you have a mac.

6. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

Thats what I thought.

7. JamesMB, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can already do that on the iPhone...Build the groups in your address book(name them whatever you want) and sync back to the phone. You can then switch between them just as you describe..It works very similar to the multiple calendars tab in iPhone.

Attached Files:

8. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

if you have a Mac you can create groups that sync, if not you can use MobileME and do the same thing.
    You just can;t add into the groups on your iPhone, something I hope Apple addresses in iOS 5

9. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

If you are using exchange, you can create folders in your contacts to group together different people.

Works great.

10. joebrown84 macrumors newbie

joebrown84

I've just been creating groups and adding to contacts to them on the MobileMe website, but they don't seem to be appearing on my iPhone. I have my contacts 'pushed' to all of my devices, but they don't seem to be there.

Any thoughts?

11. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

settings>mail...>MobileMe> make sure contacts are switched on.

That should be it. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to update.