Thoughts on DISPLAY for 13 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-key, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

hey all,

I've got a 13 MBP (check sig) and I'm finding that doing color correction really blows on this small display.

Just looking for your thoughts on a good display. Money is an issue, so I'm hoping to stay under $300. I'm just now starting this process. I know there are lots of options, and I'd like the opinions of the community.

I do lots of work using the FCP, as mentioned above - especially color.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, doing color correction of any kind of most laptop screens is an exercise in futility. Not only is the screen real estate limited, but the panels themselves aren't very accurate.

To properly use Apple Color, you need a calibrated broadcast monitor. Computer monitors use RGB signals and they don't display color the same way as a broadcast monitor or a typical television (YUV signals) would.

Matrox makes a device called the MXO (costs around $1k though) that converts the RGB signal from your graphics card to a YUV signal for more accurate HD monitoring through a calibrated computer display.

But in any case, if you needed to start out small with just the monitor, I'd check out the Dell U2311H. I know it's a bit over your budget, but it uses an IPS panel, which would be ideal for accurate color. I would avoid TN panels for doing anything related to professional graphics or video.

3. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much