iPhone X Thoughts on ease of use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EEzycade, Jul 10, 2018.

1. EEzycade macrumors regular

EEzycade

I have a muscle disease called Muscular Dystrophy. As a result, I am in a power wheelchair and can’t even lift anything under one pound easily. It is hard to use my phone. I was going to get an iPhone X but there is no fingerprint reader. Instead I would have to lift my phone up to scan my face(can’t do that). Does anyone have any thoughts on the innovation of Apple and other companies that may make phones with only Face ID leaving their disabled users in the dust?

2. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

I did this Google search
    "phones for people with Muscular Dystrophy" and found the link below. Looks promising.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/this-smartphone-connects-for-those-with-disabilities/

3. GalaDaliGirl Suspended

GalaDaliGirl

If Apple fully abandons touchID it will be a huge mistake.

4. macintoshmac, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Unless the second gen Face ID is actually usable across a spectrum of normal angles.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Technically they already have. I know you’re not in favor of touch ID being abandoned, but if you watched Apples September Keynote when Tim Cook was talking, he very clearly stated Face ID _is_ their future. So if that is not any indication of touch ID being discontinued for future iPhone models, then I don’t know what is.

6. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

They have to pursue a technology and perfect it. Unless they leave one tech behind, they will not be able to push into the new direction and guide users into it.

All I wish is that they would release second gen Face ID the first time so that the product is actually far more usable and can last longer with customer satisfaction. Touch ID first gen was okay as it was just slow, but the limitations with Face ID regarding landscape orientation and angle of operation is something that should have been perfected before releasing. I am sure many would upgrade their iPhone X to new iPhone with second gen Face ID only because of the Face ID component. That makes business sense but leaves a somewhat sour taste in the mouth if done all the time.

I am not bashing the product (iPhone X) as a whole. I am only talking about one component of it that is a sore spot in an otherwise fabulous device. This is rather akin to them releasing 2016 MBPs and then 6 months later the 2017 ones with HEVC processor and a keyboard with symbols on control and option keys, and arguably better design quality.

7. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Apologies as I don't know OP's specific situation, so, talking out my butt. But curious.

Is there some combination of accessibility settings and sticking to long passcode (ie. Not 4 numbers) and turning off FaceID that is not feasible? Is there some type of aide ala "selfie stick" that could help with this?

Like I said, ignorant around this as noone I know has this level of access issues, so apologies coming off as a moron. Just wondering if there are options, as a quick search turned up several websites with options vs TouchID.

8. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

I believe by next year they will introduce the 2nd generation of Face ID.

Some prefer it to Touch ID, what are your reservations?

9. kasakka macrumors 68020

I just tried it on my iPhone XS and I could keep the phone at around waist level and FaceID would unlock it. There's tap to wake it and if you were to mount the phone somewhere on your wheelchair you would be able to open it by just tapping the screen and looking at it.