thoughts on Glossy vs Matte (i had both)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrmillions, Apr 13, 2011.

1. nrmillions macrumors member

I bought the 2011 15" with standard res glossy screen and used it for a couple weeks and then exchanged it for the hi res anti glare screen model and have been using that for a couple weeks. one of the weeks overlapped and i had both machines at the same time. i am keeping the hi res anti glare and happy with my final decision. It seems like some people are buying the hi res anti glare just because it costs more so they feel like they are buying a "top of the line" superior machine and then try to talk it up to make themselves feel better about their decision. I bet if apple decided to make the glossy more expensive than the anti glare then they would say the glossy is better lol. Price made no difference to me when it came to this decision. When you are spending over $2500 on a laptop, $150 for a different screen hardly makes a difference in price. This is my first mac if that makes a difference. this is what i thought:

for some reason i havent read about other people saying this but the absolute worst thing about the glossy mbp was the black bezel. i could care less about what my laptop looks like by the way. i took it to bookstores and coffee shops to test it out under different lighting. when using the web on the glossy, if there is a white background like most sites you dont see much reflection, it is only when it is a dark background. the thing that irritated me was the reflection coming off the black bezel. i would be on a website and the screen would have no reflection but i could see myself in the bezel and the light was bouncing off it and into my eyes no matter how i adjusted the screen. it got very annoying. the hi res antiglare does not have a bezel that reflects the light at you and you dont see yourself in it.

the colors definitely looked nicer on the glossy and the text was easier to read but i also have the 27 inch apple LED display so when i am at home i can see everything through a glossy screen if i want. you get the best of both worlds this way. the hi res anti glare also looked very good, just not quite as good. the glossy really does make the colors pop just like everyone says.

in direct sunlight i was not able to see either screen. i'm not talking about there being sunlight in a room but i mean sunlight shining directly on the laptop's screen. it was impossible to even see the anti glare screen this way.

i didnt have a scale to weigh them but they both feel like they weighed the same when i picked on up in each hand so if there is a difference in weight it cant be much.

i am only 31 and it can be a little difficult to read the text on the hi res sometimes but its very easy to read and clear if i just pinch to zoom text.

i am a developer so i wanted to be able to fit as much on the screen as possible when i am working away from home so that is a big reason i went hi res. and i am also hoping apple will support resolution independence in the near future. so going hi res will help future proof your machine. if you have a glossy external monitor then definitely go anti glare for your laptop so you have both types.

i might have forgotten some points i was going to mention so i will add them later if i think of them. feel free to ask me any questions.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree about the Black bezel being a mirror, but I am in the minority I guess as I would like to see the Matte come with the black bezel as well, as i think it looks sharper (that has been my only complaint with the matte, and I have had it since 2008 with my first MBP).

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I'd be all over the matte if they had a black bezel.

4. aoaaron macrumors 6502

I went to the apple store today to compare atlast and I really hated the glossy. Unless you have controlled lighting and don't look at dark images, its not really worth it. The blacks would have been very slightly better on the glossy if I couldn't see my reflection!

The MBA screen was my favorite (i.e. no glass but glossy).

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

I LOVe my dad's hi-res Ag screen on his 2010 MBP 15". amazing screen.

6. cdrgold macrumors member

Agreed.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I still wouldn't trade worse colours for the anti-glare.

8. Meetster macrumors member

I have a base 2011 MBP with glossy and a high-end MBP with AG screen... I wish i didn't have bought the glossy screen :S it sucks :S i'm working in an office an i have some sun shining in i can watch myself in the screen XD and working on balcony @ Starbucks is not possible with the glossy one :(