Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I use both, i like both equaly the same. I use my mac mail for most of my emailing needs and gmail for private emails between family and close friends. I really like gmail and i find myself using it more and more. Any thoughts from people using both or one of these email clients? If it helps i use my .mac with Mail and my Gmail with Entourage.

Please dont turn this thread i would like some imput and thoughts. Thank you.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I am afraid I have gone off both of them big style recently.:(

.Mac is quite good but most of its services you really need broadband to get the best out of them. Being IMAP is great for syncronisation. What puts me off it is the poor search facilities on the web based .mac mail which is very out of keeping with the rest of mac. Too expensive to subscribe to . Mac for email alone.

Gmail as you can read on another thread of mine, has a big problem namely it only allows one shot at download via pop 3, then mail becomes invisible to further attempts to download. Which makes it useless for me to keep a copy of my mail online and on my Powerbook and my work PC.

PS I used to like Entourage as an email client as well but you do realise spotlight cant index it:eek:

Looks like Yahoo for me

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I'm the opposite, actually. I use .Mac for close friends and family. Gmail is reserved for all other email (online transactions, forum memberships, etc.). Basically, anything that could attract spam. This separation seems to make the most sense and so far it's worked. My Gmail account gets around 10-20 spam messages a day while .Mac gets about 2-3 spam messages a *year*.

I prefer to keep Gmail web-based and use .Mac with Mail.app. With Gmail, I'm mostly cataloging text-based messages referring to various online accounts and purchases. So it's not necessary for those messages to be saved locally to my HDD. With .Mac, I've got more personal correspondence with various attachments (mostly photos), which makes Mail's iPhoto integration especially useful. I also like how Mail handles IMAP accounts, which is why my business email also comes through Mail.

Both Mail.app and Gmail have excellent search capabilities, so finding messages is fairly simple in either account.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
IMAP makes .Mac a better choice. All your email in one place and can be easily shared on any computer. Definitely the way to go.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
^^^ I couldnt agree more. The only problem with gmail (as others said) is the fact that using it via Mail does not work well on multiple machines. That and my university has the Mail port blocked (well i think they do, i cant check gmail via Mail on their wireless network).

I use gmail for both private/personal and professional uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.