Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
With all the speculation of new machines this year, and the anticipated arrival of the G5 iMac, I was wondering what the future of the PowerMac might be. Does anyone agree with the following proposition? (I'm aware of all the stories of the G5 PowerBooks, so I'm trying to be realistic here :D).
I propose that the followin may happen:
- The iMac goes G5
- The PowerMac goes Dual G5 only
Any thoughts on this?
Since there is only one single G5 PowerMac, is this a reasonable guess?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I agree.

iMacs and PowerBooks: Single G5
PowerMacs: Dual G5
iBook and eMac: Single G4 (or Mojave G3?)

Would be gr8.
Apple using the new 90 nm 970 as their coming G5: running cooler for iMac and PowerBooks (up to 2.0 GHz), and faster (up to 2.5 GHz, Dual configs) for PowerMacs.
Either the Mojave G3 (call 'em G4 for marketing reasons...) or the 7447A Moto G4 for eMac and iBook.

Yeah.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
my guess(es)
1st rev.
PM-2.0, 2.2, 2.5 G5(with option for single processor on low-end...for those who don't need power and cost of dual...although old rev a dual 2.0 might make pricing difficult)
iMac-new 7447A G4 @1.5 (hopefully w/new memory/bus architecture...with G5 around the corner...maybe cost of this may negate)
PB-same as Imac...give or take
iBook-possibly 7447A or G3 @ 1-1.33
2nd rev.
PM 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 G5 (otherwise same as above)
Imac-1.8-2.0 G5
PB same as Imac
ibook-1.5 or above g4/g3...possibly g5 also(one could hope)
Do not think all rev. will happen at the same time, but approx. speaking, 1st rev in beginning of summer...second end of year/jan 2005...if they figure out a motherboard/cooling option for the PB, they should for the iMac concurrently...as noted, just a guess, would love to be proven wrong...said nothing about other possible upgrades/bells and whistles, as this post is long enough...

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I think that there will in fact be a G5 iMac before the end of this year. My personal opinion is that the new iMac should be a headless machine. There are tons of advantages to doing this.

I think that there should be a 1.4 to 1.6 GHz G5 iMac using the new architecture like the PowerMacs only scaled down a little. Maybe only use a 4x AGP, with regular PCI slots, no FW800, 4x SuperDrive, PC2700 DDR RAM (exp to 4 GB), 800 MHz FSB. It would be great to see a sub $1000 G5 Mac. This is one of the great things you can do with a headless iMac. I think it would sell like the original iMac did. It would certainly attract more Windoze users. They would have a fast G5 processor, with the new architecture, expandability, and you can get any monitor you want. Plus if you want to upgrade you don't have to pay for the display everytime.

I have a 1 GHz FP iMac and it has a beautiful display, but its not upgradable, and if I want to upgrade my iMac I basically have to buy a new iMac. This isn't right, and I think Apple needs to look at this.

I think there will be a PowerBook G5 by at least this time next year, maybe MacWorld SF. That will also use at least part of the new architecture with the high bandwidth.

The eMac/iBook should use this new G3 that IBM is developing and market it as the G4. Speeds ranging from 1.2 to 1.5 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB. The eMac should have basically the same specs only using DDR RAM and this new G3 processor.

I'll get off my soapbox now... Any opinions welcome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.