iPhone 5 or earlier Thoughts on iPhone 4s design in 2018

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retta283, Nov 5, 2018.

1. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

What do you think an iPhone with the design of the 4s would be like in 2018? I've longed to go back to the days of small phones, however some think the 4s design is too small. I myself think it was the best iPhone design

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Pick up a SE. There's your answer. Done.

Honestly, when I moved from the 5S to the 6, I thought the 6 was waaaaaay too big etc. Now I happily carry around a 7+ and find its older brother (the 6) tiny. And the 4S that I have still as a spare feels ridiculously small. I do agree with you however that the 4S was somewhat the nicest design of them all. But as soon as you need for example maps on it, the small screen really becomes an issue.

3. white4s macrumors 68000

4. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Apple is just following the market trend of larger phones and I get that. Seems to be the "in" thing at this moment even though there are folks who much rather a smaller form factor. Now I am curious to see what happens sales-wise with the new Palm phone. See if people are happy with a smaller form factor, though I personally don't get a phone to carry so you don't need to carry your phone, but whatever I guess. I'm sure if the market drifts back to smaller phones, Apple will be all about it.

5. retta283 thread starter macrumors 6502a

retta283

I meant design not specific screen size.

6. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It's a bit thick but the true glass sandwich design is much easier to repair. The current iPhone design uses a glued piece of glass on the back making repair difficult.

The rounded edges starting with iPhone 6 are more comfortable to hold once they reach phablet size.

The current iPhone X design with a removable iPhone 4 back would be ideal.

7. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

The white XR reminded me of the white 4S I used to have. Still a timeliness design, that 4.

I did really love that phone, used it for three months until the iPhone 6 came out. Proved to me I could get used to any screen size because before that I'd used the 5 and the ginormous Lumia 1520 as well.

If the 4S ran iOS 12, I'd give it a try as my daily phone. Although I do watch a lot of video during my commute, that would be horrible lol.

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

The adhesive they use is definitely a huge issue in replacement but I'd have to say the biggest hurdle is the fact that the camera ring is secured to the chassis from the inside of the phone which makes it's impossible to reattach properly without disassembly.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I would prefer the iPhone 5 design sized up. Or the SE sized up.

I have a 4 and a 4s, both of which I inherited, not because it was a design I really liked. While the design has grown on me (I no longer hate it) I'm still not a fan of it. That stainless steel band has always bothered me. I prefer how Apple did it with the iPhone 5.

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

There comes a point where there just isn't enough space inside an iPhone 4 sized chassis for Apple to do all the things it wants to do. With the bigger phones they can add a lot more stuff inside (whether you want it or not)

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it depends on what type of technology can be included in a 3.5 inch iPhone. A few Apple executives actually mentioned over a year ago, that one of the reasons they removed the 3.5 mm Jack was to make more necessary room for Camera and processor improvements, which in theory, I think the reason you have the larger phones in some respects, is because all the necessary space it requires for more adVancec technology that we have today. I also gather that not everyone wants all the technology in a smaller form factor, but I don’t think Apple would re-introduce a phone of that size anymore.

What I would like to see, is a 5 inch OLED iPhone been introduced under the XR.