Thoughts on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apolloa, Nov 11, 2017.

1. apolloa, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

apolloa macrumors G4

So, I managed to find the iPhone X in town and had a good play, you know what my main takeaway was? It’s an iPhone. It works and looks and feels like an iPhone.

The screen is great, really good brightness and the iPhone 8 next to it looked dull, but I couldn’t see the zoomed screen setting like the 4.7” and Plus models have?
    I increased the overall text size and it helped make it better for me.

I found the physical size to be great, just right, I could use it one handed more or less fine, the only issue was getting the notifications or control centre to show and I felt it was a joke to have them set up like that in the far corners.

And that notch? Yeah you forget about it really after a few seconds, it’s a none issue I found. You have to look for it to notice it.

The interface was incredibly fast and smooth, felt better then the iPhone 8 next to it which was wired?
    It was incredibly fast and responsive to swipes and gestures, the glass felt super smooth too. It is pretty fast and easy to switch apps drawing an L upside down quickly then pressing and holding open apps and swiping them up to close. Great work by Apple there. The only daft thing was the swipe bar being on the bottom or screen sides seemingly randomly, depending on the app used. But it wasn’t too bad. And the gap below the keyboard is also a none issue to me, really didn’t bother me in the slightest.

I then tried the back camera, and I wasn’t overly impressed but this was in the store and it was a dull day, taking some snaps of the display stand opposite and some parts were obviously grainy in the photo, but a women’s fluffy part of her coat was fine.

The camera is my main issue, how do those with an X find it? I don’t really take selfies so don’t care about the front one. But the back one needs to be good..

It felt very premium I must say, solid, no idea on weight as it was on a spring loaded self winding security teather. But great design.

So...... yes I want one, I plan to get the off silver / off white (that’s how it looked to me) 64GB. Next year probably.

Reasons being, it has some flaws yes, but none are deal breakers, and it’s size is awesome, and the screen, I looked at the Note 8 immediately after and it has those over saturated colours, the X screen is much more natural and for me much better. The design is also much more modern feeling too.
    Also I tried the 8 Plus after and it felt like an absolute tank! Massive!

My advise to those with a Plus is wait, IMO the X is for people like me who try as they might, really like the smaller handset and can’t get on with the phablet size devices, a Plus user will find it small I feel and will want that giant 6.5 or 7” screen bezel free design that no doubt will appear next year on the Plus model.

So yeah, Apple did a good job overall, plenty of reviewers have said Face ID works great and is reliable, and that was my only other concern as you can’t play with that in the store really.

Yes, I was impressed.

I did look for the Pixel 2 but couldn’t find one to compare.

But if I could have the thoughts of the camera from X users that would be great, iPhone cameras can struggle to focus on my Spaniels fur and sometimes they smudge it.

2. SBruv macrumors 6502a

I’ve been Plus since the 6, and I wouldn’t go back to it from the X if you paid me to.

My advice to those with a Plus is to ignore your advice, try one in an Apple Store and decide for themselves. :)

3. apolloa thread starter macrumors G4

So if a bezel free Plus with a 6.8” screen or similar size is launched next year you wouldn’t want it?

Also how have you found the camera on your iPhone X?

4. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The interface was incredibly fast and smooth, felt better then the iPhone 8 next to it which was wired?

Yeah, there’s some kind of magic sauce going on with the UI response and animations on this phone. I don’t know what to attribute it to (is it all due to the higher refresh rate touch sensor?) but after a week with this phone, it still amazes me, and I came from a 7 Plus which was no slouch.

One blog reviewer put it this way: the UI feels “weightless”. He’s right. I love it. And everything else about this phone.

5. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

OP summed it up perfectly on how I felt about the X especially when mentioning the Control Center. After awhile, it's like using any other iPhone but with gesture swipes.

I understand people loving the new gesture swipes but once I focused on the nitty-gritty which are the core features, I was kinda turned off by it. Not the X's hardware but iOS' certain "way" (not plural) of doing things.

I wanted to get the X yesterday morning only to realize I need Data, Hotspot, and Location toggles to be next to each other for work. If I can't use it as a phone to tether, then it's just an iPod touch that cost $1000.

I like The X. Apple just needs to work on iOS notifications, toggles, more customizations, etc. Hopefully, more improvements in future software updates. Control Center is a mess.

Apple should just copy Android and be done with it. Still wrong after 10 years. And only iPads gets Folder, PiP, and split-screen apps. The more expensive X has less RAM than the iPad Pro.

The X is flawed if you can look beyond the honeymoon phase intoxication. The iPhone X is the best iPhone ever made but with plenty of room for improvement.

6. SBruv macrumors 6502a

Nope. And superb, mostly cos of the x2 OIS.

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Sorry to break it to you but, all cell phones from all makers have room for improvement.. All are flawed in some extent...

8. apolloa thread starter macrumors G4

Fair enough, although I would also tell anyone to try the phone out first, not least cause of how much it is! Don’t spend that much blindly.

And thanks, like I said I was in the store so not the best lighting etc, have you taken any photos of animals or pets? If so how did they come out?

9. SBruv macrumors 6502a

I’ve not, I’m afraid, no.