Thoughts on LaCie Little Big Disk 1TB Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonahgabriel, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jonahgabriel macrumors newbie

Hey guys...I just picked up a new 17" MacBook Pro with a 128GB ssd, Thunderbolt Display and I was thinking about picking up the
    LaCie Little Big Disk 1TB Thunderbolt for more space. Anyone have any experience with this drive?

2. funwithdesign macrumors regular

Seems like a ridiculous amount of money for just 1TB of space. Especially if you are adding it for 'more space'

The listed read speed is up to 190 MB/s which most SSDs are capable of.

Thunderbolt is a great technology but until hard drives catch up to the potential bandwidth I'd be staying away for day to day use. Especially at the price point they are at now. Unless you absolutely need those speeds for an external I'd stick with a larger FW800 drive.

3. jonahgabriel thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really need the speed. Any suggestions on a FW800 drive?

4. funwithdesign macrumors regular

I've had good luck with Lacie Quadra drives, they have fw800 and esata.

Seagate also makes a 3TB FW800 drive and it's $299 here in Canada but I don't have any experience with it.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I have a 3TB G-Tech that I got from Amazon for $284 and I love it. I think it is $304 right now.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk is noisy from the factory. I replaced the two (2) 500GB drives with two (2) 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs and removed the fan. The maximum performance I can achieve is 480MB/s with these drive installed in the LaCie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk. A single 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 installed internally in a 2011 Mac Mini (or any 2011 Macintosh) is capable of 550MB/s.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have this model of LaCie. While not the cheapest price, I've been using the LaCie brand with my PowerBooks / MBP's for years. FW 800 delivers very good speed and the drive is very quiet.

I've also experienced very good reliability & lifetime from their drives.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Of those I would definitely choose the G-Tech. From what I have read the WD has hardware encryption that canot be disabled, so if it ever goes you are completely out of luck with no way to decrypt your own data; if it is like every other WD I have ever seen it is also in a cheap, lightweight plastic case that cane easily fall over. The G-Tech OTOH is in a very solid and heavy fanless aluminum case with a huge heatsink on the bottom of it, and it is screaming fast. I know nothing about the Iomega except that I have one of their portable drives and although built well it is extremely slow.

10. jonahgabriel thread starter macrumors newbie

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Great, you'll love it.