Thoughts on Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coolsenior09, Jun 18, 2009.

1. coolsenior09 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be a college freshman, and I am thinking of buying a white Macbook for next year. Everybody seems to be buying the MBP 13''. Am I not making the right choice? Am I wasting my money?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on your needs and what you will be using it for
    The MacBook is a great machine

How about a little more information on what you intend to do with it
    You could be wasting your money by spending it on a MBP ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. coolsenior09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a music major, I only intend on using Internet, iTunes, Word, maybe powerpoint. Am I better off with a regular PC? I kind of want it to last all four years... :T

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A MacBook would be fine for you and will last you!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you will be more than fine with the 13" MacBook. it is a great investment - i still know people in the graphic design business who carry around their 12" PowerBooks everywhere they go.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Agreed. The plastic MB is still a great computer.

7. andrewsd macrumors 6502

love my aging blackbook

The only real advantage is battery and the 9400m graphics in the macbook pro. For your uses the white macbook will be fine.. I am going to keep my almost 20 month old macbook for at least 20 more then maybe an air or 17inchers.. Depends on where I'm at in life..

8. ordo1980 macrumors member

is cracking still an issue with the plastic macbooks? Just curious... I've been going back and forth on the mb and mbp myself. I'll be a law student this august and need mine to last only for 3 years. but ill be using mine for exams also, so perhaps battery may be important, but i think outlets are plentiful nowadays, so i dunno. but does the white still get easily dirty? palmrests and keys and such? would invisible shield remedy this?

9. beg_ne macrumors 6502

As far as I know yes, I believe its just an inherent flaw with the design, the magnetized areas cause stress, and no matter what they do plastic is still plastic and will probably succumb to the repeated stress sooner or later.

My palm rest did get discolored, not so much the keys or outer case though. My MacBook was a first gen and one of the ones that had a bad palm rest that was replaced. The new palm rest was fine for a long time but suddenly seemed to become discolored again after about a year.

The 13" Unibody MBP would probably be a lot better choice, especially given the upgrades and price drop.

The UMB that replaced my old white MB is worlds better in quality overall, and there is no way it can get chipped or cracked the same way as the plastic version.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The macbook also has the 9400m, The 13 inch MBP has better battery as you said, DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2, a better display, and multi touch.
    The macbook is very good value though. I don't think that most people would notice any real difference in terms of performance between the macbook and the 13 inch MBP. Especially as they both have the same GPU.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Mine's 2 1/2 years old and still rockin'. It does everything the OP is asking for in a computer. Lots of people like to underestimate them, but it's a sweet machine!

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Performance will be near-as-makes-no-difference. And the white MB is a great machine and good value. But if you can afford the extra $200, you get: better screen, more RAM capacity, slightly faster processor (insignificant, honestly), backlit keyboard, better screen, far better battery life, better construction, better trackpad, an SD card reader, faster FireWire connection, and better looks.

When it between the white MB and the unibody MacBook, the white was the clear value winner. But now that the difference is only $200 and the MBP offers so many more features, it's is well worth the upgrade, imo of course.

13. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

If I were you I would either go for a 13.3" unibody MacBook or 13.3" unibody MacBook Pro. If you want it to last longer, the plastic and discoloration may get to you. Those are the main resons I got apre-unibody MacBook Pro.

14. hypertc13 macrumors regular

For the money i would go for the baseline 13" macbook pro. It has a faster processor, better battery life, and a nicer screen. I have a pre-unibody macbook pro its about 2 1/2 years old and still runs like a champ. My mom got a white macbook and after about a year the top case started to crack where the magnetic strip touches it, and the palm rest are noticeably discolored. It is just an extra $150 to go from the macbook to macbook pro

15. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

You could be fine with a Netbook or a low cost PC notebook on special from Staples, OfficeDepot, Bestbuy, etc.

For what you're doing I hate to say, but if you're a student and want to save money(use the money you save to pay for your textbooks, lunch, etc) a cheap netbook or cheap pc notebook is the better deal for the tasks you've mentioned.
    :)

16. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Yes, cracking is an issue. Unless you want to buy the aluminum models, go for a thinkpad T400s. They're crazy durable (people run those things over with cars and trucks).

17. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Have you ever tried running PowerPoint on a 1.6 GHz (or less) processor with a gig or less of RAM? It is painful. And iTunes is really crappy on my 1.8 GHz Dell desktop with 3 GB RAM. A netbook would be even worse as the processor frequency is less, there is less RAM, and it is a single core.

OP: Go for a refurb. You save a bit and get the same great computer. Here's the one you're looking at, but as a refurb and it is the one before the quiet spec bump to 2.13 GHz.

18. gavin83209 macrumors regular

I would recommend the baseline MBP simply because the extra RAM capacity will probably make it last an extra 2-4 years. Besides that, it looks better (IMO), has FireWire 800 and several other features.

I know somebody that just had the inside case of a first gen MacBook replaced because of cracking, but it has lasted pretty well otherwise. I wouldn't worry about durability on either model.

Actually, Keynote and iTunes work just fine on my PowerBook (sig). I would agree that netbooks should be avoided, though: "When I look at netbooks, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens. It’s just not a good consumer experience and not something we would put the Mac brand on. It’s a segment we would not choose to play in.” -Tim Cook

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I'd go with the MBP. It's only a bit more, and you get a better screen, more durable construction, and it isn't as prone to becoming and staying dirty.

If this computer is supposed to last you 4 years, than that's what, an extra $3.15 per month to have the MBP over the MB?? If you can't spare the extra dough, just hold back on one round of beers per month and you're there.

I don't think a white macbook would make it through the 4 years. Physically it MIGHT, then again chances are your palm-rest will crack as they all do, especially with heavy use. It's also gonna get dirty as sin, and it is damn near impossible to clean off the stains (compared to the pro which can look brand new all the time) - and they will be there even if you take good care of it.

And if you aren't totally meticulous about taking care of your stuff your white macbook will look like it's been through hell and back by year 2 - also significantly lowering its resale potential should you choose to exercise it.

Just get the MBP, and use the free iPod deal if necessary to cut the cost lower. $1099 - $150-200 selling of free ipod = $899 - $949 for the PRO. It's a no brainer. :)

20. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Nope I haven't, but didn't know it be that bad.

However, you fail to address my other advice, get a low cost notebook. They can cost from around ~400-~600 depending what you want. I'm sure they'd be fine for what the OP wants. I bought one and run adobe's s/w just fine. :)

21. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

On the issue of a better screen (I am considering the same thing, Macbook for University), the Macbook has a lesser-quality screen then the low-end MBP? Anybody have solid evidence?

It would really, really be a bad thing if the macbook's screen is a TN - I doubt it is, I just want to see/hear the specifications between the two? Input lag? Colours?

22. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Just because they're fine for what he wants doesn't mean they are what he wants. He asked for opinions between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know that there are PC laptops out there that are capable of the "same things", for less money, but as already stated, he's interested in a Mac.

23. fpar macrumors regular

The white macbook is a great laptop! Dont worry bout the cracking or the discoloration as they are recognized faults and apple will repair them free of charge regardless of whether you are under warranty or not.

24. dhd macrumors member

dhd

OP, I'm also a music major (about to graduate, but anyways). may i ask what will you study?. Performance, composition, sound engineering, etc?. that can help to narrow a selection.

Kind regards

25. janewales macrumors newbie

I also have an ageing whitebook-- mine is just over 2 years old. Only thing I've done to it is upgrade the RAM. It still works great-- handles everything I throw at it. I did have the cracking issue, but Apple replaced it free, even though I'd been too cheap to buy AppleCare. The replacement keyboard/ palmrest cover seems sturdier-- the original showed dents quickly, and this doesn't. As for keeping it clean, yes, you do need to wipe it down, but my whitebook actually looks better than my friend's blackbook-- it all depends how hard you are on your stuff.

The new 13-inch MBP looks like a great value-- Apple really seems to have nailed it with this upgrade. But if you like the aesthetics of the whitebook, or if money's really tight, I just wanted to chime in to say that my old whitebook has been, and still is, a really fine machine. The one you'd be looking at is better specced-- and it's so pretty! (I like the white keys-- so sue me)