Thoughts on Mbox 2 Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by davehilario, Aug 3, 2007.

1. davehilario macrumors newbie

Anybody have it? Thinking of getting one to edit audio on the go and lay down a couple of tracks on my MacBook (2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160 GB 7200). How are the converters? Not expecting the sound of a high end preamp but I can get the mini for $250 and it's a steal with Pro Tools alone. Thanks in advance.

2. cschreppel macrumors regular

You know, I've been toying with the idea of buying one for on-the-go work as well. Still, it would really just be an oversized dongle most of the time.

Regarding the converters/preamp, it's the same as the mBox2 and mBox2 Pro if I'm not mistaken. They're not the greatest, but they do the job given the size of the unit and the target consumers.

For $250, I still think it's a little pricey, but it's Digidesign...

3. davehilario thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll probably snatch one this weekend and post a review after testing it out. right now, i'm pleased with the quality i get from my current setup. i just want to learn pro tools even though cool edit pro runs decent on parallels, but i want to stray completely away from windows for audio recording.

4. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

They are not too bad, in my use (mbox 2). But yeah, a little pricey, but worth it if you use it. Pro Tools LE by the way, if that makes a difference, though.

5. davehilario thread starter macrumors newbie

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i do believe the mbox2 mini is the cheapest way to get into PT. are you saying that you would spend more to get better digi pre's and conversion?

7. davehilario thread starter macrumors newbie

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, you just threw down there.

i took a listen. you've got big phase problems on your 2-track, check whatever plug you're using for limiting, or perhaps any stereo/widening processing on your instruments. (and on your kick, what did you do to it?)

vocals sound thin, check your EQ, and imho they're overcompressed (as is the style, but i'd at least play with the release and restore some of the dynamic range). i'd use more de-essing, too.

on the plus side, you've got good instrument balance, especially with the play between the lead and backing vox. personally, i'd use more delay/reverb to get the vocals sitting better, but maybe what you've got is the sound you're after.

the exact same snare hit each time is boring, imho. but ymmv.