Thoughts on Microsoft's Continuum on iOS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rusty33, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I don't know about you all - but I am eagerly awaiting something like this on the ipad/iphone/iOS. Personally, such a feature would completely do away with my need for a laptop entirely

http://liliputing.com/2015/04/some-...cs-just-add-a-display-mouse-and-keyboard.html

I am actually surprised that apple hasn't done more to push the iPad/apple TV in this direction...would it really be completely abhorrent to allow a mouse to connect to the iPad/iPhone when a user really wants it (e.g. when writing a document)?

Thoughts?

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I am actually in favour of iOS not supporting cursor support actually. This way, we won't get developers creating apps that require a mouse to use properly, which means they will have to actually optimise their app for a touchscreen and direct input.

The iPad is meant to be a mobile device. I guess Apple tolerates bluetooth keyboards, but a mouse kinda defeats the point, IMO.

3. Rusty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I certainly see your point - that makes a lot of sense. I love the idea of just needing one, single device though...touch when I want it, but more able at work when necessary. I can see the day (hopefully in the not too distant future) when I can tote an iPad around instead of my phone...great for doing tablet things, but versatile enough to give me a pointer when I am typing away in pages. This would be huge for anyone that writes for a living, students, etc.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Apple tolerates bluetooth keyboards?! LOL

Android supports pointing device (mice) and in no way does it impede the use of apps in purely touch mode. When a mouse is detected there is an onscreen pointer, when there isn't a mouse, there is none.

If Google is able to properly support pointing devices then Apple should too.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You are right that Apple can support pointing devices. I am simply pointing out that Apple likely never will due to philosophical reasons.

6. cynics macrumors G4

I find that it does impede the use of apps since many are gesture based. It's moving your hand away from the screen but acts like its on screen. I feel it's a nice feature but can be counterintuitive for a device designed around touch input. Things you are used to don't work right like selecting text like you normally would on a desktop.

As far as the topic goes I like the idea of what Microsoft is doing but there are too many compromises. I prefer the way Apple does it with iCloud. A lot of times I switch to my Mac because I need a more powerful machine then my phone so in that regard continuity and handoff are a much better solution for me.