Thoughts on my 13" Macbook Pro purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wezman2k, Jul 29, 2013.

  1. wezman2k macrumors newbie

    Aug 13, 2007
    So... I need a new laptop. I've been running a 2007 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro since they were released and I just don't think waiting any longer is going to make much of a difference for me...but STILL!

    Right now I mainly use it as a media server, and I'm going to continue to do so until it either dies or I end up with a better solution.

    My plan was to do the 13" base MBP with education discount for $999, which Apple throws in a $100 gift card which basically brings it down to $899 in my eyes.. And I get 5% cash back thru my Discover card which reduces the cost even more.

    I ordered a OWC storage doubler for the optical drive... so I'm going to do a 120gb SSD and move the 500gb internal drive over to the optical slot. I'm also upgrading the RAM to 8gb thru crucial.

    I feel like this is the smartest, most cost-effective choice at the moment given that we probably have a few more months before another refresh, and when that does happen they'll still be pretty damn expensive for a while.

    I'm basically looking for some feedback on this choice. I've got 15 days to return it for a full refund by 08/01 which is when it comes.

    Do you guys think I'm getting a good value by doing this now or are these haswell processors and wi-fi ac worth waiting a few more months for... along with paying the super premium for the latest and greatest?

    ***Edit: Sorry I created a new thread for this. I posted in the sticky one. Not sure if I can delete posts on here.
  2. scbond macrumors 6502

    Oct 16, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    If you're looking at the classic MBP then you won't achieve anything by waiting as it'll more than likely not receive any updates now.
  3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Apr 21, 2009
    you get better value with a new MacBook air especially bestbuy had the 13 inch air for $950

Share This Page