Thoughts on my Graphic Design website

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Dazmatze, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Dazmatze macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im currently designing a (maybe test) website for (hopefully) my future as a freelance graphic designer. Ive only just started designing it and it is far from finished, what are your thoughts on it so far?

Thanks, heres the image:

[​IMG]

2. designguy79 macrumors 6502

It looks unfinished. :D

In all seriousness, it is hard to give input with such a rough outline. For example, are you planning on keeping the gray outlines?

Also, all of your elements seem randomly sprinkled on the page. I would definitely encourage you to either use a grid or at least think about how things are aligned.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/04/14/designing-with-grid-based-approach/

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/designprinciples/a/alignment.htm

Have fun, and please post a follow-up when you have a more fleshed-out design to show off.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I second the grid based design approach, I would also advise it's a very good idea to reduce the workload. Make the portfolio simple, I'd suggest using a simple Wordpress theme or Behance Prosite.

I'd suggest checking this out and this they'll give you a very good idea for portfolio expectations and trends.

From experience fresh out of uni designers do make things hard for them self, the best porfolios are:
    1) Well written, direct and concise.
    2) Work with 8-12 really well designed things presented nicely.
    3) Explain show they've designed what they've done, the skillset used and types of software.
    4) Really understand design and industry trends, uses a broader range or projects.
    5) Uses nice use of colour and fonts. Papyrus will get a CV binned ;)
    6) More than anything they answer the question. "This is who I am and this is what I am proud of designing".

The best ones I've seen are easy to get the information I am looking for:
    1) Skillset and experience
    2) Software knowledge
    3) Design knowledge.

Hope this helps.

4. Dazmatze thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have a bit of a rethink and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the replies.