Thoughts on my new mac set up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swinler, Jun 8, 2012.

1. swinler macrumors newbie

Hi guys

Have been a long time lurker here and now a first time poster!

My partner and I will be getting new MBPs when they are (hopefully) launched next week. We are both currently using windows machines and have a home network with various NAS's, streaming media players etc. My intention is to replace most of this with new Apple gear and just wanted your input on whether what I am planning will work.

In addition to the MBPs, I plan to get a Mac Mini and have recently acquired Apple TV 2 (jailbroken).

My plan is to use the MacMini as a media server and connect via USB whatever external hard drives are required to get the amount of storage I need. The MBPs and Apple TV would access the Mini to stream media over the network. The Mini will also plug directly into one of my TVs to directly play media there.

I also plan to use the Mini (or more likely one of the external HDDs attached to it) for Time Machine backups of the two MBPs over the network. Is this feasible? Are there any issues with doing backup over the network?

May also keep my old NAS as a secondary backup device.

Also, all the Macs should be able to access and share the other Macs local files over the network.

I never quite got this all entirely working to my satisfaction under my windows arrangement, so am hoping it will be a smoother experience under Apple!

Any feedback or input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

this will most likely be the hardest to get working, never done it myself, might be interested in this: http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110808120424119

everything else sounds easy enough though, and even easier with the proposed mac setup.