Thoughts on new headphone port arrangement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfly4, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

Apple obviously now changed the port to the bottom of the phone. Anyone finding advantages/disadvantages to this new setup in everyday use?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Def an advantage in the fact that if your listening to music and put your iPhone in your pocket then if you get a call and take it out of your pocket you are holding it the right way already (unlike the previous iPhones)

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I always put my phone in my pocket upside down and facing inward so the change works for me. I also like all the cables on one side of the phone.

Either way, I don't regard it as a huge deal.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think it's more natural but it's definitely taking me a while to get used to it lol. Still looking for the jack at the top.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It always used to annoy me that I had to put my iPhone in my pocket the 'wrong' way up when I was listening to music. I had an iPod touch before my first iPhone and it made so much more sense to me that the port was on the bottom.

Great change, and I'm surprised that Apple didn't do it sooner.

6. fahimkhair macrumors newbie

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

When it's in the suction cup mount thing in my car, the audio cable now hangs naturally down instead of annoyingly up and over.

The only downside is that I had to modify the mount because it was blocking the audio port! A dremel made short work of the obstruction, though. :)

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The only thing I don't like is that I have a cradle in my car that has two movable arms on the bottom to hold the phone in place. The headphone port is naturally covered by one of the arms, so I have to swing it out wide, which doesn't hold the phone as steady as it did when I had the iPhone 4 and the port was on top.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Mine does too; I just dremeled off the part that covered up my headphone jack.

Of course, the design of your cradle might make that more difficult to do, or make it not hold the phone as well after doing it... but that's a possible solution.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's a real PITA.

My phone's in my suit 80% of the time, so I keep having to put it in upside down to listen to music. Rubbish!

11. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

An excerpt from my overall review:

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Advantage:

When you put your phone into your pocket it is naturally upside down. Therefore having the jack on the bottom is useful when having an earphone plugged in.

Disadvantage:

Sometimes while using the iPhone I lay it on my stomach while sitting down or lying on the bed. Having an earphone plugged in prevents this.

13. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Good shout on a dremel, I have one as well and have used it for many simple mods that keep me from having to buy new/different accessories because of a 16th of an inch issue.

14. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I think it's:

>revolutionary
    >magical
    >groundbreaking
    >innovative
    >insert other fanboy hyperbole here

15. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

like people have said its nice to pull out of your pocket and have it cradled in your hand and o like that when i'm listening to music and charging, both wires are on one side. as far as docking in a car not letting you listen with ear buds?... thats just not a smart thing to do in the first place. so +3