Thoughts on new iPhone availability (based on previous launches)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenfields, May 19, 2010.

1. greenfields macrumors member

Ok, so I'm new to the whole iPhone thing, and I remember hearing stories about people who where camping outside apple stores for like 3 or 4 days at the initial launch.

Are things still that ridiculous these days? Do you think I will be able to just go in to an AT&T store and pick one up a week after launch, or is that hoping for too much?

AT&T won't even acknowledge there is a new iPhone coming out, so I can't exactly reserve it I'm guessing, plus I'd like to see it in the store, just to be sure, even though I'm all but sold on it...

Anyone here buy a 3G or 3GS at launch and have trouble getting one, or any tips? If it's going to be hell and take months to find one, I'd like to know in advance!

Edit: I read the apple stores have the best user experience for phones, do they give you the low price for signing a contract with AT&T right there, or do I have to go buy the phone through AT&T for that?

2. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I guess it depends where you live and how mental people are :eek:

2G I ordered online to save the bother, 3G had an hours queue outside my local O2 shop and 3GS was an in and out in same deserted shop so YMMV!

IMO *most* people could care less and a fair few that want one will still be in their 18 - 24 month 3GS contract so I cant see it being hard to get one on launch day!

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

We're having a similar discussion here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=915738&highlight=fast
    (really has a bad title)

You'll most likely be able to reserve one right after the official announcement which is expected to be on June 7th, the first day of WWDC.

It was not hard at all for me to get a 3G or 3Gs. Both times I waited in line, but both just over an hour maybe.

Apple will set you up on an AT&T contract right there in the store.

4. greenfields thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I figured someone else might have beaten me to the thread.

That's good news about the apple store, I'd much prefer to go to there, last time I went to the AT&T store I had to wait in line for almost an hour just to get helped (which I could understand if it was the launch of a new phone, but this was just some random afternoon)!