Thoughts on new Mac and options

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by trbeat, Jul 10, 2008.

1. trbeat macrumors member

Hi,

I have hit the crossroads of life ... Buying a new mac! I thought this process was supposed to be easy :)

Anyway, I currently have a 2.5ghz G5 PowerMac with 3.5gb ram and it it struggling to run Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio.

I am thinking of a Macbook pro but my concern is performance and disk space. I know I will need to buy an external drive for my footage and audio requirements but again my concern is that the portable harddrives mainly spin at 5400rpm and I was wondering if this will add performance issues. The cool thing with the MBP is that it is portable and I can then work when I travel etc.

My other option is the 24" iMac but the downside is I loose any portability.

So in a nutshell, what are the opinions of the group on-going for a macbook pro 15.4" 2.5ghz 4gb to run logic and final cut studio ....

Thanks

2. firewerk macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2.4Ghz with 2gb of RAM and it runs final cut studio perfectly for my needs. I edit for school (film school) reguarly however it's nothing that requires a lot of rendering etc.

I have firewire drives for storage and if you use your internal drive for any immediate work there shouldn't be speed hits.

With an iMac sure you have slightly more power and desktop space. However, the ability to do work at very similar speeds on the go really wins it for me. Also the battery in the MPB while it isn't spectacular and when you're doing work on the studio's it tends to dwindle fast, finding a socket these days isn't that hard.