Thoughts on Nintype?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parkm13, Feb 11, 2015.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

I have been looking into getting nintype and it seems like people are very split on it. I haven't been able to find any reviews of it made recently. I know a lot of updates have come making 3d party keyboards much better to use.

Does anyone that is currently using nintype, or used it recently, have anything to say about it. Good or bad.

Thanks!

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

So, it sounds to me that you didn't like it because you never got good at it? Basically it just has a very steep learning curve?

4. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I like it. I used it for about a month and it was very good. I liked being able to swipe with one thumb and insert letters with the other.

What I didn't like was when the keyboard would not pop up forcing me to quit the app I was in and relaunch it. Sometimes it wouldn't even come up of I tried to do Spotlight.

And like most third-party keyboards the auto-correct can be a little wonky. I can type out a message on my phone using two thumbs without even looking at the screen on the apple keyboard and have no mistakes. I can't say I've found a third party keyboard that will let me do the same.

But none of that is an issue. It's whenever I needed a keyboard and it wouldn't pop up that made me stop using it (and all third party keyboards).

5. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Have you used it recently, I'm hoping a lot of the bugs have been worked out. It seems like it would be a very good keyboard for me!

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes. But I gave it two weeks which I thought was more then enough to try and learn it. It's nothing wrong with the keyboard itself just I can't use it. It's a personal problem really.

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I used it up until as month ago or so.

Another complaint I might have about it is that he landscape mode is very tall. It's adjustable, but that seems to throw off flow of typing on it for me.

I still recommend buying it if you're intersted. It's oniy $5.

8. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks! I think I'll give it a shot!

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, you really have to give it some time. On the plus side, you might learn how to spell again. :D

10. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I've been using nintype for about 2 months now and I still have mixed feelings about it. I love the fact that they keyboard is re-sizable and adjustable. I have a 6 plus, so I shrink the keyboard down quite a bit to allow for more space to see the rest of the screen. I also put the portrait keyboard off center toward the right so that it's easier to type with one hand. I love the fact that you can swipe with both hands as well. It definitely has a rather steep learning curve and once you get used to it (and when it works well) you can definitely type pretty fast on it.

The problem is that it just doesn't seem terribly accurate. Even after using it exclusively for 2 months I still get a lot of typos. I'm still getting better, but the typos annoy me.

I suppose the fact that I'm still using after 2 months speaks well of it.