Thoughts on Nokia N9??

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by vhl71, Jun 21, 2011.

1. vhl71 macrumors regular

Saw this video on endgadget. Looks impressive.

Any thoughts?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Nice alternative to Windows Phone.

Means they're not dependent on just one OS.

3. Centient macrumors 6502

It's a great looking device. Isn't it powered by MeeGo? Which is on the way out? How's the dev support going to be for such a device?

Strikes me as more of a declaration of the aesthetic sensibilities of Nokia at this time rather than a device that I would actually want to purchase. Sort of a 'Hey look how awesome W7 phones will look when we finally start cranking them out.'.

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

5. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

If Nokia had pushed this hard a year ago with devices like this running it, android would have a very serious contender. Too bad for an open OS my choices are limited to android only..which sucks as its not for me.

WebOS is strangled by HP, and Meego is dying thanks to Nokia.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Hello. And welcome to the MacRumors.com iPhone forum. Enjoy your stay. :eek:

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

MeeGo isn't on the way out, Symbian is.

MeeGo will coexist with WP7 phones as a 'developer' platform, the N9 being the more consumer-oriented of the two they announced (the other being the keyboard-equipped N950).

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Looks like a pretty nice phone, I just think the MeeGo OS is way to late to the game to be a serious contender. There are already 3 major ones out there that cater to most of the market, is there really room for a fourth? If it could boot Android or WP7 though, that would make for a sexy phone.

9. Centient macrumors 6502

Really? It's my impression that Elop has basically written of MeeGo. My understanding that this is basically the first and last MeeGo equipped device from Nokia.

Is Nokia actually planning on continuing to support MeeGo in other forms? Or is MeeGo just going to go on as some kind of open source platform w/o Nokia support?

Perhaps I misunderstood? Thanks for any details. :)

10. hamletpri macrumors newbie

Thoughts on N9

I'm really liking the look of this new Nokia phone, it seems really cool and the inclusion of Meego is I reckon, interesting, however nice at the same time. I did think it would be WP7 though... An author at my site, who is quite into all of this Nokia stuff has just posted his full thoughts on the new N9 here, if you'd like to check it out.:)

11. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Release something like this running WP7 and I'm sold ;)

12. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

The hardware looks great. If the OS is polished, it has some solid base apps and some decent 3rd party apps then I'm sold.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Love the design and software elegance of the N9. Its just a damn shame that it is D.O.A. since Nokia is ditching Meego for WP7 so this phone will never receive a single update in the future :(

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not everyone does, but personally I like the Meego Tablet UI as well.

Very simple and usable, with a carousel of panels for video, photo, social, contact, news, etc topics. Not for me, but for people like my mother, and for kids. Or for a kitchen status computer.

--

As for the N9, I like its concept of NO interface buttons at all, just swipes from the edges (*). Makes it easier to get to basic views without paying extra attention.

(*) The RIM Playbook tablet has a similar concept of no buttons. Swipe up for main menu, swipe down for app menu. Swipe left-right for next app.

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Never in a million years will I ever buy another Nokia a phone. My last nokia was a E71 the experience was so bad using it I can't bear to even hear the word Nokia, Physical Qwerty Keyboard or E71.

And also...this is an iphone forum, seriously, no one hear really cares about Nokia or Andrioid or WP7 or any other mobile device except for Apple. (Coming from a non apple-fanboy, I have an Alienware laptop).

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If I understand it correctly, Nokia decided to abandon MeeGo several months ago but then rebounded and said that they would release devices for the OS later on. Thus the N9 and N950.

That was in a press release released in February.

I think Nokia's going to continue releasing MeeGo devices but rely on the community to provide support and updates, since they don't plan for the average Joe to buy these devices (they want them to buy a Windows Phone 7 device, which they will support)

Basically:
    Symbian will continue to ship until next year or something like that, before being completely replaced by WP7 as the OS of choice for their consumer-oriented devices.
    MeeGo devices will continue to be released by Nokia but with little official support.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Since when was competition (and discussion of competition) a bad thing?

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

I like it. MeeGo is a mix of WP7 hub section, Android/iOS in the second part, and the Xperia X1's tiles. Nokia jumped the ship on MeeGo too soon to stick with WP7.

I guarantee Apple and Google will rip-off that animation aspect where you can swipe your finger while a video is playing to bring back the homescreen.

18. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Nokia N9 - Forget Android

Nokia announced a couple of days ago their MeeGo phone, Nokia N9.

So far I've been super impressed by it. The design is awesome, the software is powerful. Unlike Android(even with dual cores), this does not lag.

The body is made from polycarbonate, so the colour goes all the way, if you scratch it, there is no metal silver to be revealed under it.

The screen is oval to allow for easy gestures.

It has no buttons on the front at all.

Has Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, all of that deeply integrated, free offline Nokia Maps navigation, it has the best and the most powerful multitasking implementation of any OS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ad,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw&feature=player_embedded#at=15

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

21. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I am super impressed by the N9 hardware and Meego software. Too bad its dead on arrival and won't get a single update anymore since Nokia is dumping it for WP7 :(

So post your pictures in that thread ;)

22. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I agree that it is a sexy phone with a nice looking UI, but its too bad MeeGo is pretty much going to be DOA. They are releasing a WP7 version, though.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I guess your not familiar with the shape of "oval". That looks just like any other screen shape. However, i like Nokia. Thay make good phones that just work ;)