Thoughts on O2 as a provider in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixkunze, Jun 30, 2008.

1. felixkunze macrumors member

After reading a lot of complaints about Rogers Wireless in Canada, ATT in the US and Nordic providers.

From what I can tell, we actually have the best deal here in the UK. In fact, I'm starting to think that O2 is a provider I actually like. The website is good (I can check my bill, itemized billing etc). They took their rates and moved them up a couple of months ago, giving us all the next best offer for the same price. I actually down-graded my contract and saved £10 a month and got the same package. What other carrier does this?

Their customer support has been fantastic, its easy to get through to a real person.

They give you a great deal with access to 'The Cloud', and they've added BT access points to the package. In other words they've been adding value when they really needn't have.

Their new iPhone offer and upgrades for existing customers are also very competitive.

I know they get stick for their pricing sometimes which can seem excessive if converted to USD, but we have to live with higher prices here. We also get paid more, so economically, you can't really fault them. If you take into consideration various market indicators here in the UK such as food, property etc and compared it to the US, it is clear that its actually quite a good deal.

I'm not associated with O2 in any way, but after all the moaning online about all the other providers, I thought I'd post about a provider that has actually offered value and in my eyes deserves credit.

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

compared with all the other worldwide packages on iPhone I think we are gettign agreat deal here in the UK

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I think i'ts about time the UK got a good deal

4. Jowl macrumors 6502

I've heard plenty of negative stories about O2 - poor customer service and terrible 3G speeds being the main point. But I've head the same thing about most mobile operators.

My actual experience with O2 - one direct with my broadband and one through my girlfriend's mobile is that their customer service is excellent and the (current) mobile deal is good.

My current mobile company (Virgin) is excellent on both CS and the tariff - but I'm happy yo move to O2 and see what they can do with the iPhone.

And yes, it does seem we have one of then better deals for the iPhone here in the UK. Having said that, us UK customers seem to have much high expectation of both hardware, software and tariffs than many others. So I think Apple and O2 have recognised that to some extent and have adjusted prices/features.

We still want MMS and bluetooth transfers though!

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Their 3G coverage is way behind any of the other providers (they even got dinged by ofcom for it), and it's only 1.8Mbps not 7.2Mbps.
    Plus they were recently caught throttling their HSPDA links to 128kbps.

OTOH they have given us a good deal this time around... and they are the only provider in the UK (as far as I know) that has unlimited internet rather than 'unlimited (subject to fair use limit of 1kb)' internet.

6. MojoWill macrumors 6502

no one in the UK offers FULL 7.2Mbps HSDPA no matter what they say *cough* vodafone *cough*

7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I think O2 are supposed to be reasonably OK. I think they have good customer services, mostly based in the UK I think. I know they have a call centre in Glasgow,

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The packages now offered by O2 seem to offer reasonable value though the original deals were very poor.

I have no issues with O2 selling the iPhone in Britain, I just wish it wasn't an exclusive deal. :(

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I've been with O2 for years and fine them a good carrier (much better than my previous carrier Orange).

One of the main reasons for choosing them at the time was the fact they are the only UK carrier that doesn't personalise their handsets with crappy menus and removing features (like Orange). This of course isn't an issue with the iPhone as Apple would never allow a third-party to do so.

Only thing that the O2 network doesn't support is delivery reports via SMS (you have to type *0# at the beginning of every text message). They do support MMS though without the need to type the code.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think the Telefonica acquisition of O2 is starting to make appearances in their everyday business practice now. Having some weight behind the operation is resulting in a better performing, more ambitious network.

While I still, personally, give Best Network crown to Vodafone, O2 have come a long way (to the extent that I'll actually get an iPhone 3G on O2). Long may it continue.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Since the change in rates/minutes/texts we got in February, O2 has been the best deal out there by far for a legit iPhone.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd say o2 is the best for UK/Eire without doubt

14. phannon666 macrumors regular

If I got to choose operator (and all the plans being as they are now for the iPhone), I would prefer Orange, O2 second, and Vodafone would put me off getting it altogether, don't have experience with anyone else.

15. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Orange are, by far, the best company that I've used, except their network lets them down a lot - there is just no signal where I live. I had to leave my phone literally by the window or I would miss calls. Vodafone are acceptable and have good signal, but I've yet to try O2.

The plans seem reasonable, especially the £10 data for PAYG (it it is true), but the thing that would make O2 awesome is if they allow bluetooth tethering of the iPhone to a laptop.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I was very, very reticent to move to O2 having heard a lot of horror stories about them. However, I did so in order to get my first iPhone, and I have to say they have been absolutely fantastic. The coverage seems better than Orange (my previous supplier), and they've handled any queries quickly and efficiently.
    Very happy with O2 and very happy to stay with them for iPhone 3G :D

17. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I was happy with O2 in Germany, now I'm very happy with O2 in the UK.

I think the iPhone tariffs are a great value. I hope 3G coverage here in Bristol is good.

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Look it up on their coverage map.. http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/

Their HSPDA coverage is rather poor but does seem to cover the major cities. Plain old 3G they don't list separately unfortunately.

19. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Don't forget that o2 are 'only' tying us to 18 month contracts. From what I read most other countries are on 24 months.

I've been with T-Mo for the last 3 years and would stay with them if they had the iPhone BUT have no problems moving to o2. I had o2 a few years back and found them to be ok.

My wife has been with o2 for 4 years and they are fine - too many spam txt messages from them but otherwise ok.

20. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

That's because most people in the UK would choke on their cornflakes if O2 tried to sell them a 2 year contract - we have a very competative market here. I feel sorry for Canada, being locked in for 3 years...

21. Rigsby macrumors regular

I switched to O2 for the iPhone (having had an unlocked iPhone on Vodafone before) and have been absolutely delighted with the switch.

I'm perhaps lucky that O2's coverage tends to be better than I experienced with Vodafone, but their customer service is absolutely excellent and, so far, the difference in cost has been marginal. I've been so impressed I've moved our broadband over to them and it's very likely my wife will be switching to them for her mobile as well.

This will be my first 3G phone so I can't comment on that - I'm just pleased and excited that Apple seem to have chosen a partner who share a commitment to the customer experience...

It makes a great difference to days when I had to spend a week persuading a series of Vodafone customer service reps I was a Vodafone customer!

22. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I just worry about network coverage it seems very poor compared with Vodafone. I like the sound of their customer service though. I'm with 3 at the moment and whenever I call them, even the simplest of issues can take a long time to resolve; they can't understand me and I can't understand them!!

23. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I have never had a problem with O2 customer service. The signal is a bit poor at my parents but elsewhere is good.

I'm happy for them to have the 3G iPhone.

24. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I've been with o2 for the past 5-6 years, and can honestly say I have no problems with service.

I am also happy to buy iPhone 3G with them.

R-Fly

25. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I have found O2 and Virgin to have very good CS (especially Virgin) when things go wrong...the same can not be said for Orange and Three both of which are a nightmare when things go tits up.