Thoughts on O2 Monthly Contract vs. PAYG

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vereina, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Vereina macrumors member

Assuming that the PAYG details that were briefly posted on the O2 site were correct:

My usage of the 3G iPhone will be (a) primarily checking e-mail and web browsing; (b) 10-15 mins per day calls, from my office location; and (c) fairly occasional short calls from other locations, once or twice a week.

So, for example, on PAYG, making calls of 15 mins on 10 days each month would require £13.50 top-up each month, which would yield the 100s of free minutes each month from the nominated location (my office). I would, of course, also need to pay the £10 per month for data after the first six month period.

Over 18 months, for the 16Gb iPhone, this seems to be over £60 cheaper on PAYG, compared to the £35 per month contract. (And, in actual fact, I would probably not make calls from other locations for as many as 10 days each month, so the top-up required might typically be the £10 minimum needed to get the free minutes.)

Does this seem a reasonable conclusion, or am I missing something? All comments and observations gratefully received.

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Seems reasonable. I calculate £723 on the PayG and £789 on the £35 contract.

3. Vereina thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I made it! :)

(It's nice to get arithmetic right occasionally, even if I'm not entirely sure how to spell it ... ;))

I appreciate that the calculation is very sensitive to how many days per month calls are made from other locations but, based on my current usage, it seems fairly clear cut. Thanks again, Tony.

4. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

aren't you forgetting to factor in the £10 per month mobile internet/wifi costs for pay as you go?

5. Vereina thread starter macrumors member

No. That is factored in (for the 12 months from month 7).