Thoughts on OmniWeb?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asdfTT123, Jan 20, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Has anyone purchased a license for this web browser? If so, how does it compare to Safari 3? I currently use Safari as my primary browser because I like the snappiness and ease of use, but there are some issues with it that annoy me including buggy support for Google Gmail. I also have Firefox, but the load times are somewhat annoying and there's no smooth scrolling. I've been looking into OmniWeb and the license is only $15...are there any thoughts on this web browser? Also, what other web browsers are good alternatives to Safari 3 and Firefox? Thanks.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I purchased omniweb's licenses years ago. but almost never use it. It just doesn't seems to meet my need.

You can get smooth scroll in firefox by going to about:config and change the value of general.smoothScroll to true

3. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the little tip on smooth scroll! Can you say why you don't find OmniWeb useful? What browser do you use and what are your web uses?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im using firefox, as you can see, mainly for its tab function/password manager/download manager/adblock+/some useful extensions, etc...

Omniweb, can't do one or more of the things I mentioned above..

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I just installed the test drive of OmniWeb. Using it right now.

So far it's pretty interesting. The AdBlocking, from what I can tell so far, doesn't seem as rich, but I do like the tab management.

I'll give it a try for a few days, and come back to this thread with my thoughts.

6. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded OmniWeb and after using it for just a few minutes I have several major complaints.

1. The tabbed browsing is off to the side (left or right), and it takes up much more window space then if it was located on the top like in Firefox or Safari. Does anyone know how to change this?

2. Smooth scrolling is hardly "smooth" compared to that of Safari. I've also enabled smooth scrolling on Firefox but Safari's smooth scrolling is far smoother than that of OmniWeb or Firefox.

3. Large images will not resize into smaller images like in Firefox or Safari. Is there an option to fix this?

4. There's no way to disable the bookmark tab towards the top. I tried deleting the pre-set bookmarks manually but the tab would not disappear, taking up a small (but noticeable) amount of web page real-estate.

So far, I'm not very impressed with its features but I'm still playing around. Safari is still the obvious browser-of-choice for me, but unfortunately, it's not perfect and I wish Apple would do something to iron out the Gmail issues.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm going to check in from time-to-time and post my thoughts as I discover them. Otherwise, I'll forget them.

I don't mind the tabs being off to the side. In fact, it makes more sense to me, since I have a widescreen display. So many Web sites are set to narrow widths, but have lots of vertical scrolling, that I'd rather the tabs take up space on the left than the top.

A few gripes:

I just went to one of my favorite forums that has a popup window for loggin in. Since I have OmniWeb set to single-window mode, it launched the sized popup as a full-page tab. I'd rather have a separate window when it's a Javascript link with a specified size, and a new tab when it's a simple target="_blank".

I'd really like to see the AdBlock stuff built into the right-click menu, like it is in Firefox.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Comparing to Firefox here...

Not a fan of the lack of auto-complete in the Google search.

Also not big on the (command-f) page search requiring you to click the button, rather than finding them as you type, spotlight-style.

9. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I purchased an OmniWeb license a couple of years back, but unfortunately, I'm finding that I don't use it anymore. On OS X there's only two browsers that charge, OmniWeb and iCab. Between the two, I'm finding iCab to be a far better experience.

- iCab loads pages faster (iCab 4 uses WebKit too)
    - iCab has traditional tabs
    - iCab is actually even more configurable than OmniWeb (no small feat)
    - iCab doesn't force you to pay (if you don't you just get an occasional nag)
    - iCab is more stable
    - iCab appears to have more attention from its developer (OmniWeb is not the OmniGroup's major money maker, whereas iCab is that developers main project)